Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy - two problems

Hey all.

I have a JDS Stargate system and looking at HS as a way to expand it. I have loaded the trial HS and Stargate plug in.

I have been successful at getting the two to talk, import the databases, and I see the devices update in the log on HS. What my problem is, when I click on a device like a lamp in HS to change its state, the software shows it changed, but the lamp does not come on. I have a nicely working system, so I know that is not the issue.

The second thing is I have not been successful at setting up an outgoing email to work. Some research here shows that HS cannot send SSL messages to secure smtp mail servers. If I have this correct, when will this be fixed in an update.

Thanks for the info!

-Tim
    -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
    Way2 Call
    Elk M1 Gold
    UPB HAI switches
    HAI RC2000 Thermostat

re: stargate, i'd recommend posting in the subforum specific to that plugin.

http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=655

regarding the email, many of us use a program called "stunnel" to overcome the problem HS has with some email accounts.

www.stunnel.org

Welcome to the family, btw! I'm sure you'll love it here!
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Thanks.

Is it normal to have to find work arounds like stunnel for this product, or is this an anomaly?

-Tim
      -Tim

Way2 Call
      Elk M1 Gold
      UPB HAI switches
      HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

depends on what you mean by "normal" and what you mean by "workaround."

HS is not perfect but it is very flexible. You can do anything with it. sometimes, it doesn't do something exactly the way you want it to (often part of the trade off for flexibility) but you can almost always over come that with a "workaround."

If you're looking for a turnkey out of the box set it/forget it, HS may not be what you want. But if you're looking for what I beleive to be the most powerful and versitile consumer level HA software, then HS is definitely worth your atttention.

Maybe what I'm saying is that it is a matter of perspective. where you may see the draw back of the need for a workaround, I see the advantage of flexibility.

anyway, it's late, and I may not be making any sense, so I'm going to shut up now :-)

Ian
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post

anyway, it's late, and I may not be making any sense, so I'm going to shut up now :-)

Ian

totally agree with completelyhis....

i started using HS a while ago.. I am by far a programmer... well actually i dont program... but with the support of the guys on this site... I have been able to overcome any issue I have had...

also even with the other software out there... I dont feel the community is as big as this one... I have seen other forums where others have posted and never got responses....

another thing I have learned.. alot of the new guys dont know this... but when you want something... dont demand or ask... but make it interesting to others...

if you search on pedometer and concord 4 you will find 2 incidents where I mentioned these and some programmers came in and said... hey that sounds like a good idea.. lemme look into it....

it is all how you look into stuff....

now I am not sure about the stargate but there are a few that will chime in... but can you control what you are trying to do inside of stargate? if so then it is just getting hs to communicate a little bit better.. maybe one step is missing.. if you cant control a device from within stargate then you have to remember that hs is only an interface to devices that control other devices.....

ok im babbling now... too early on 3hrs of sleep... ill let others chime in..
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I'm just looking to be able to expand my Stargate system into something modern without having to start over. I'd like to have the ability to use my iPhone to control while I'm in the house, I'd like a web interface and maybe touch screens as the price drops.

I'm just having trouble with the email thing, I don't think it should need a third party fix, but at least you can fix it. I'm also having trouble with the web server dropping connections, which seems common. And I'm probably missing something with the Stargate part (HS not changing the X10 states via SG).

I've only been reading this forum for two days. So bare with me! But it looks like the first two problems have been out for a while, and still exist. I just want to know they will be addressed sometime.

I'm sure I'll get HS, as it seems a natural evolution for SG users. One thing I really like is that I can program it via my intranet on my mac with the windows box in the garage ;-). That's a plus for me.

Is there a thread where people showcase what they have done with HS?

Best regards,

-Tim
            -Tim

Way2 Call
            Elk M1 Gold
            UPB HAI switches
            HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Working...
            X