BACKUP, does HS have to be closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BACKUP, does HS have to be closed?

TO DO full backup of HomeSeer, does HomeSeer have to be closed?

If NOT closed, and I copy the HomeSeer folder, the DATABASE file is not viewable by microsoft access (HS has it locked with password or whatever)

If HS is CLOSED, then the database is viewable with Microsoft Access

This causes me concern that if I back up when HS is RUNNING, is that database locked up and not retrievable, when a recovery is needed?

thanks
    Nick

There are several routines that will backup HS while it is running. (Try a search of the board.) Also, there should be up to 10 backups of the database file in the /Config/Backup subdirectory.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

What version of HomeSeer are you running. There were some versions that didn't remove the password from the Access DB when it is shut down. The later betas should have solved this.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have the HomeSeer Basic (came with the HomeSeer Starter Package) - I can check its version number

I am looking t possibly upgrade to the newer z-stick, and the regular homeSeer package, but I want to clarify backups currently, so I know I am doing them correctly

I do know that I had copied one of the database files after a program shutdown, and I was able to open it without a password.
        nick

nick

Comment

Nick,
          That's a good sign then that this version is working. You bring up a good point as well. Let me check on some things.

Comment

I thank you for your reply.

I was looking at creating a startup or batch routine that would
            1. shut down Homeseer (if password protected database is a prblem)
            2. start backup
            3. do backup of at least the HomeSeer directory
            4. restart HomeSeer

any other feedback on this is appreciated.

QUESTION
            in the HOmeSeer -> Config -> Backup folder, are those database files unlocked or password protected?

And when do they get created ? (daily, or at shutdown, or when?)

If they arenot password protected, and if created at shutdown, then that solves 95% of my question,
            because I could
            1. shut down HomeSeer
            2. immediately restart homeseer
            3. do a backup of the HOmeseer folder, because the latest MDB file would be in the backup directory

any clarification apreciated
            nick

Comment

They "shouldn't" be password protected but you can quickly check by attemtping to open one of them.
              I would recommend visiting the scripts forum and download BackeRupp and give it a whirl. It's old but I've been using that for years and it has saved me more than once.

Comment

i'll go to the scripts section and download that routine.

I'll test those files tonight (I am on my tablet, don't have MS Access on it)

again, thanks

BUT, addendum - when you say "scripts" forum, is that a script that runs within HomeSeer?
                I have the HomeSeer basic, and I did not believe that had scripts ability?
                nick

Comment

I had a bad experience once where I backed up a critical DB, while it was open. BUT apparently enough of it changed during the backup that it killed the DB. This was NOT HS...

Ever since then I just "reboot" HS. When it's down, I copy it to a temp directory and back that up.

I hear LOTS of people here backup without issue with the HS up and running.

Maybe ... but at least what I do, it just have HS start a Windows .vbs script with a delay (in the shutdown). If a "do backup" device is set, then shutdown starts the script.

After HS is shutdown, the script tends to wait 30 seconds longer...then copy the directory to a temp location. Then the script starts hs and begins the backup.

This has the added benefit to "restarting" HS to clean it up. Once a week or so is all it seems to take to reboot my machine (used to be when running Win2kPro...Win2k3 Enterprise Edition doesn't seem to care if it EVER gets reset). So, sometimes I would reboot the machine after the backup has been run (different script).

With the new OS and my "backup" software not working with Win2k3, I've been looking to do the same thing with HS executing the timing and using Tucan as the engine that makes the differential backups.

--Dan
                  Last edited by drozwood90; August 31, 2009, 02:30 PM. Reason: more info
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

MDB's are password protected in the back up folder....

to Rupp
                    HOmeSeer -> Config -> Backup folder
                    they ARE password protected. I pulled one from my remote site tonight, tried to open it, and asks for password.
                    I then shut down Homeseer, copied the whole folder to a backup folder, and opened THAT database, and it opened OK

any way to make those backup MDB's be not password protected?

to DrOzWood -
                    I Did have a DOG that had to learn what an electric fence did when he pee'd on it - an old hunting beagle - we did not see the beagle for a week.....

nick

Comment

Originally posted by aoz View Post
                      any way to make those backup MDB's be not password protected?
                      This is what was supposed to be fix in one of the latest betas.

Comment

If I have HOmeSeer Basic, are there upgrades to that?

I went to the main screen, it does not list a version number, just says at bottom to "upgrade to HS2" ?
                        thanks
                        Nick

Comment

Send Rich an email to rjh@homeseer.com and he stated he would send you a $50 coupon toward HS2 or HSPro.

Comment

Working...
                          X