Newbe need to understand how things work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbe need to understand how things work

I am new to HA and to the Home seer controllers and software so my questions may look dump or easy to the rest of you.

I downloader the Homeseer2 demo version and try to have a look what it does. I pass over many posts in this forum but I still have my questions or I can not understand how thinks work

I am working into my house which is existing building and not new construction so I have to use wireless electric switches. In my country we do operate with 220V so I bought a Z-Wave Wall Mounted Dimmer Switch that I found throw Homeseer authorized dealers. http://www.letsautomate.com/12575.cfm?

Ok then I have the software and one t least hardware that I have to connect and make it to work. I need a remote controller to work by itself with out the HS2 but this is not what i want. How it is possible to connect it with the HS2 software?

I also found in HS online shop the GC-100-12 - Network Infrared Controller (Yes I invented the wheel again ). I saw all the information in HS website and also I saw the Global cache website but I can not understand how is working. Does anybody have connection plans for this appliance? Can I control other appliances with the GC-100 as well?

Since all these products work with IR/RF then is it possible for somebody that has a remote control reach nearby my house and operating the devices??

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by ; September 13, 2009, 04:31 AM.

At least to address your Z-Wave question. It sounds like you need an interface such as the Z-Troller or Z-Stick. These will 'connect' HS to your Z-Wave switch. Be aware however that Z-Wave is a mesh network (each device communicates with others). The more devices (switches etc.) you have, the better it will function.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Hello Wadenut
      Thank you for your information
      I saw what Z-Troller does and looks easy for addressing the various Z-wave products. It appears that Z-wave lamp modules have a button to reset and set the frequency to the Z-Troller to continue the addressing procedure.

The Z-wave product i have doesn’t not have any button. Here is the problem. How to read the frequency of that switch. According to the PDF manual (attachment) it appears that you have to tap it once so to be able to set it. I hope somebody that has the same switches can advice us. I do not believe that USA standard Z-wave products have differences from the EU as per the way they work.

Thank you very much
      Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Marios - welcome to the forum this is a great place to get information.

What are you using for a controller? Are you using a handheld controller like the ZTH200 and the ZCU201 or ZCS201 or are you using the Aeon Labs Z-Stick?

The process of adding devices to your network is a little different depending on which controller you are using.

Comment

Wadenut and Kaldoon Thanks for your advices
            I am starting to get into the way how HA and Z-wave echnology works.

Kaldoon as for handheld controller i am thinking to buy the WDHC-20 - Z-Wave A/V Remote Control (Wayne Dalton) which i can controll other AV devices and Z-wave products.

I intent to connect the HS2 with my WMC and i need to find a way to send IR or RF signals to control the WMC. I still did not figure out how to do it. I saw the GC-100 products, i am not sure if it can controll Z-wave and my WMC (propably with a IR blaster )

I want to make my HA system in a way that i can built on it with new devices.

Thank you very much for your help

Comment

Sounds like you don't have a Z-Wave controller yet - the WDHC-20 - Z-Wave A/V Remote Control will not work for you as it does not speak European Z-Wave (868.42) - the ZTH200 does but if you are looking to do your control through HomeSeer then I would suggest the Z-Stick as it is an Inclusion Controller - you can always add a secondary controller (handheld) later - I am only aware of one controller that works with Z-Wave(868) and A/V Control but it doesn't play well with others.

Comment

Hi Kaldoon
                Thanks for your info. No i do not have a Z-Wave controller yet. You saved me from buying something not suitable for my application. It appears that it will be difficult to get the right product here in Europe

I was searching and found this GE Z-Wave Home Theater Remote here
                http://www.jascoproducts.com/product...ory=63#details
                Again no information if it is suitable with European freq

Also i foud this RF Remote Control Model:5069 from the German Company Merten here
                http://www.zwave4u.com/products/en/Z...e-Control.html

And of course Harmony 895 may do the job but with prohibited price

Yes i want to do control through Home Seer software but i believe that it more practical to have an ordinary remote controller that it works with Z-wave and also with other A/V equipment or air-condition systems.

Z-stick or ZCU201 can control Z-wave products through HS software/hardware isn’t it? So i assume that those products are for preset functions so that the right time the HS software will tell the Z-wave products what to do. My question is if i want to manual override the preset and want to switch a Z-wave product then i need to buy a controller (handheld). I hade seeing 6 remote controllers for 6 different devices in my house

Thank you

Comment

You'll need the Z-Stick or similar interface for HS control for, as you've said scheduled events; but also motion events, etc.
                  A handheld remote would be a 'secondary' controller as I understand things. I don't use one, but I do know it wouldn't be any good at all for use by HS, but would be fine for manual control if that's all you want.

This would be a good time to jump in, Rupp.

Comment

Working...
                  X