Debug logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debug logging

Is there a way to enable some sort of debug logging for all devices and events to facilitate troubleshooting?

Out of the blue my untouched HS install is bouncing to 100% CPU on a regular basis.

Thanks

Skibum

You can create a manual event like the following and run it:

Set it to zero to turn debug off.

The output of the debugging is located at:

c:\Program Files\Homeseer HS2\Debug Logs\

tenholde
    tenholde

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I didn't know about these commands. Thanks!

BUT... I tried them out and then looked at the different files. The one activity I found that I'm trying to figure out is in the 'Debug_Conditions.log' file.
        I'm getting a once per second entry:

2009-9-26_10:23:28:0587: Condition group true: Device ON condition true: device=N1

Any idea why I'd be getting this line in this log file? What does the 'Debug_Conditions.log' file tell you anyhow? It looks like it might be trying to say a condition group for an event has been met, or am I way off?

'N1' is a virtual device I use to tell Homeseer if I'm Home or Away, so it very seldom changes. I checked all my events and any that check this device ('N1') as a condition of the event firing have either an absolute time or other conditions as part of the event trigger.

If I turn 'N1' Off and turn debugging ON I do not get the above once per second message in the 'Debug_Conditions.log' file.

Edit: OK, I figured out which event is causing this logging message. I have a recurring event that runs every 10 minutes to update info from my weather station to a file and update an icon that shows sky conditions. This is the only recurring event I have that uses the 'Reference to hour' checkbox and that apparently is what is causing the extra work/logging. Weird .... You'd think Homeseer wouldn't even be paying any attention to the event conditions until the recurring time trigger had occurred, in this case at 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 minutes after the hour.
        Last edited by RAM; September 26, 2009, 11:09 AM.
        Dick
        HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

I found it illuminating to run with debug on for awhile and browse the resulting logs to see what is really going on in my installation. Was able to significantly reduce frequent device status updating that was unnecessary.

tenholde
          tenholde

Comment

Another debug question

Following up on my post above (#4), I am trying to figure out why, when I have debug turned on, I get a message in the 'Debug_Conditions.log' file every second for an event when an event's 'applied condition' is true but the recurring event time is set to only every 10 minutes.
            In my example in the above post, if my Home/Away device is set to 'On', it gets logged to the 'Debug_Conditions.log' file once per second. If 'Off', it doesn't.

Can one of the Homeseer folks chime in and explain why that might be? Why would Homeseer be checking the 'applied conditions' for a recurring event every second if the event is set to run only every 10 minutes? That seems like a waste of CPU cycles to me.
            Dick
            HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Working...
            X