What to rebuild with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to rebuild with

Life got a little complicated for a while and my automated house turned into piles of "stuff" that didn't do anything.

Now, it's time to start making some things work again. I've got HS running on a fancy new Server 2008 R2 box and a shiny new Omnipro II to replace my temperamental Stargate.

Everything in the house was X-10. I guess it all will mostly work since it did a few years ago and some simple tests tell me it should still. There is a lot of it, but not enough to dictate keeping it if that's the choice.

I got some UPB stuff to try. A pocket programmer, some appliance and light modules and a computer interface. No matter what I did, nothing did what it was supposed to. Nothing could talk to anything else. I tried different outlets around the house and everything I could think of and nothing remotely communicated. The only thing I haven't tried is testing at someone else's house to see if I happened to get a box full of broken stuff. Could my house be too noisy for UPB but not for x10??

So, with all that in mind, should I stick with X10 or look at heading in a new direction? I like some of the Zwave stuff, but will it work? I know asking what is best just opens a door to a bad place so I guess I'm asking for some subjective information on the options and if it even sounds right that UPB doesn't work for me.

Maybe the answer is to choose all of the protocols and mix and match as needed.

I know I'm probably leaving out lots of relevant information so ask away and I'll fill in the blanks as they come.

Thanks.

If X10 works even a little bit UPB will do fine. If you have a pocket programmer the easiest thing to do is pop up that noise screen. It'll tell you right off the bat if you have noise. It sounds more like you have something setup incorrectly.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Noise is a powerline protocol killer so if you have noise that is affecting your current protocol then I would suggest giving Z-Wave a try. A mixture of protocols is idea as well if they all work as well. This way you can use the best of what each of them offers. Z-Wave seems to be releasing more devices than the other major players sans Insteon like the new temp and humidity sensor here:
      http://store.homeseer.com/store/HM-T...s-P764C57.aspx
      Last edited by Rupp; October 6, 2009, 10:09 PM.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

There is a very small chance that you have a noise source that interferes with UPB but not X10. (The frequencies they operate on are different.) In my case, when my backup generator is running it shuts down my UPB, but my X10 is totally unaffected. It is definitely unlikely, though, in your case.

That said, if your X10 works and it's already in place, I'd go with that. You can always convert/upgrade to UPB as needed. If you decide to make the switch to something like Z-wave, though, you'll have to commit to install enough devices to construct a viable mesh network.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
        X