Automating a Garage Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automating a Garage Heater

I have an Enerco NG Garage Heater that I would like to automate. Along with controlling the temperature (I have temp sensors in the garage), I want to make sure it doesn't turn on when the garage doors are open.

The heater and the thermostat do NOT have power going to them. It is basically two wires that run between the thermostat and the heater. I guess you would call that a mechanical thermostat?

I'm thinking some kind of relay control (I do have an ELK), or is there more to it than that? The inside of the thermostat is pretty simple....basically the temperature control, some sort of circular spring and the two wires. One thing it does say is that the maximum wire length is 15 - 50 feet depending on the gauge of the wire (the ELK is over 50' away). I don't mind if we eliminate the thermostat altogether...as long as I can control it from Homeseer.

Here is a link to the heater:
    http://www.enerco.com/product2.aspx?id=370

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by scott12v; October 24, 2009, 08:17 PM.

Easy would be just to put a more intelligent thermostat and run an RS-232 (cat5) or whatever back to your ELK panel/ or HS box. Then put "if then" stuff in HS. Not sure methodology of connecting a thermostat to Elk though....

In my OmniPro setup I have the house thermostat connected to the OmniPro and can control it autonomously, via the HAI OmniPro or via Homeseer.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Easy would be just to put a more intelligent thermostat and run an RS-232 (cat5) or whatever back to your ELK panel/ or HS box. Then put "if then" stuff in HS. Not sure methodology of connecting a thermostat to Elk though....

In my OmniPro setup I have the house thermostat connected to the OmniPro and can control it autonomously, via the HAI OmniPro or via Homeseer.
      I don't think there are any "more intelligent" thermostats that are also mechanical... This one only has two wires going to it...and no power. Is it possible to add power to the thermostat? My RCS thermostats have a lot more than 2 wires going to them.

Comment

In series with the existing wiring you can run a a line through a contact switch triggered by garage door close/open. The existing thermostat is likely something like a simple mercury switch that makes contact when the bimetal coil is unwound based upon temperature. You can keep this to establish a max temperature at which the heater will still run. You can also add relay contact in series and control this relay with other means of automation. The most basic would be an ELK discrete output to control the coil. It could also be a automated thermostat where 24V is used for the relay coil of the relay that you added in series with the existing wiring.

If your preference is to control it either locally or via HA then rather than in series with the existing thermostat place the relay in parallel. The disadvantage of the parallel is the failure mode of either control keeping the heater on when you really wanted it off.

Comment

"I don't mind if we eliminate the thermostat altogether"
          I misunderstood the above statement with the assumption that you were going to replace the thermostat running new wires to furnace and back to your system.

Michael's suggestion would work.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Michael...I will digest what you said and see what I can come up with.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            I misunderstood the above statement with the assumption that you were going to replace the thermostat running new wires to furnace and back to your system.

Michael's suggestion would work.

Keep in mind that there is no furnace....this is just a gas heater hanging off the wall... But yes, I was planning to run wires from the heater back to the Elk.

Comment

Working...
            X