Changing Speach Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Speach Words

I was weondering if there is a way that we can change the way HS speaks some words or phrases? I have it speaking the weather forecast and for the wind, instead of it saying W S W, for west southwest, I would like it to say west southwest. Is this possible?

Thanks.

There is a standard script function called - appropriately - Replace. I haven't actually used it (I only discovered it recently, so I've used more crude approaches), but it looks pretty easy.

Dim strNew as String
    Dim strOriginal as String

strNew = Replace(strOriginal, "W S W", "west southwest")
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Or you can try some of the speech proxy plugins. You can set whole pronunciation vocabulary there.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
        There is a standard script function called - appropriately - Replace. I haven't actually used it (I only discovered it recently, so I've used more crude approaches), but it looks pretty easy.

Dim strNew as String
        Dim strOriginal as String

strNew = Replace(strOriginal, "W S W", "west southwest")
        Mike,
        Where would something like that be put? Right now I have the forecast as a device in HS and I am calling that device up in the speach command with the $$DS:X2 command.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Czechmarty View Post
          Or you can try some of the speech proxy plugins. You can set whole pronunciation vocabulary there.
          Thanks. I will take a look at them. I thought that the Homeseer vocabulary could be modified as well, but I haven't found anything to confirm that.

Comment

I've never played with that. I'm using the one that is not in updater.

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
              Mike,
              Where would something like that be put? Right now I have the forecast as a device in HS and I am calling that device up in the speach command with the $$DS:X2 command.
              I don't know.
              I assumed you captured the forecast in a string and used a script with hs.Speak. In that case the replace command(s) would be applied to the string before executing the speak command.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Mike,
                I guess I am kind of doing what you assume. I have the forcast in a device, x2, and then I am calling it using HS.speak in a script like this:

hs.speak "The current conditions are $$DS:X2, and the forecast is $$DS:X5."

So what you are saying is I can't use the replace command when I do it like I am? Is there another way that I can call up the information in the device?

Thanks.

Comment

Here's an example of a script I use as part of the morning routines. I use "replace" in it to do what you're talking about. I found that it works quite well mostly. I have since gone to a Speach proxy, currently using BLSpeech, but there are others I believe, and using the replace command in there to change words and phrases that get used a lot. It has saved me a lot of editing when I change something around. The words and phrases are automatically changed to what you want without having to go through all your scripts and speak commands and change everything.

PHP Code:
                  Public Sub Main(ByVal Parms As Object

Dim speakMsg As String "" 

speakMsg speakMsg " and now the weather, , , "

speakMsg speakMsg hs.DeviceString("x21") & " ,  " hs.DeviceString("x22") & " ,  " hs.DeviceString("x23")

speakMsg speakMsg.Replace("° F""degrees")

speakMsg speakMsg.Replace("mph""miles per hour")

speakMsg speakMsg.Replace("T-""thunder")

speakMsg speakMsg.Replace("N/A""not available")

hs.Speak(speakMsg

speakMsg Nothing 
                  End Sub 
                  Marty
                  ------
                  XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                  Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Marty beat me to it, with a much more useful answer!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                      Marty beat me to it, with a much more useful answer!
                      That doesn't happen too often.
                      Marty
                      ------
                      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

Thank you very much. Now I have some work to do.

Again thank you for your help. As another question, how easy is BLspeech to use? Does it work well with HS speaker?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
                          Thank you very much. Now I have some work to do.

Again thank you for your help. As another question, how easy is BLspeech to use? Does it work well with HS speaker?

Thanks again.
                          Incredibly easy, and very well, otherwise I'd wouldn't be using it.
                          Marty
                          ------

Comment

Yeh I guess not, thanks.

Where can I get the BLSpeech plugin? I checked the updater and it isn't there, and a search on the forums only brings up threads about it.

Thanks.

Comment

google is your friend
                              Marty
                              ------

Comment

Working...
                              X