Ports blocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ports blocked

This isn't specifically a HS problem, although my red speaker icon was the trigger. Sunday, I went out of town. When I left, everything was fine. Monday morning, I got onto Logmein and saw the red speaker icon. When I opened the program, I saw that the server had actively rejected the connection. OK, that's no problem. I opened RemotelyAnywhere on my main machine to connect to the HS guy. Connection refused. Bummer. So I came home.

When I got home, the HS machine was working fine. 4 other speaker clients were connected and working great. My main office machine (not HS) had the red icon. After screwing with it for awhile, I noticed that the connection from speaker was bombing immediately. On the HS machine there was no indication the connection was being attempted. I also noticed that FTP wasn't working.

So, on this one (main) machine. it looks like ports may be blocked.

Speaker port 8742
    Remotely Anywhere 5630-5665
    FTP 21
    Handy Backup refused to start because it can't find a loopback connection.

Damn but everything else seems to work great. Everything else on the network works great too.

I had recently upgraded AVG firewall to v9. So, I uninstalled that. Turned off Windows Firewall (well, made sure it was off). No difference. Rebooted in Safe Mode w/networking. Still the same.

I'm lost here. Any ideas? Remember, as far as I know, this whole thing happened Sunday night while nobody was here.

John

John,

Did you check there was still network on the main office machine? No loopback connection makes me ask this. My guess is your networkcard in this machine got fried somehow.

Wim
    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Network is fine. Both internet and shares. I'm on it now. Very confusing.

Comment

Some basic network troubleshooting -

First I assume these are on the same LAN subnet ( the first 3 numbers of the IP on the client and Homeseer machine are the same, e.g. 192.168.1.x)

On the client open a cmd prompt.

Type:

telnet hs_machine_ip_address 8742

note the space between 8742 and the ip address. If the screen says 'connected' or goes blank they you have a connection. If the connection times out you have some software that is blocking access.

Comment

C:\>telnet 192.168.42.40 8742
          Connecting To 192.168.42.40...Could not open connection to the host, on port 874
          2: Connect failed

As I said, I just put in AVG 9 but its firewall and Windows firewall are turned off. Tomorrow, I'm going to uninstall AVG and see what happens there. It looks like I have some sort of "stealth" firewall. The thing that makes me crazy is that it worked OK all day Saturday and Sunday until I left around 1:00 PM. Monday morning at 6:30, it's like this. Happened all by itself.

Comment

Fixed! There was an orphan copy of ZoneAlarm running. I had no idea. I thought I'd uninstalled that months ago. There was no tray icon or anything but VSMon was grinding away. Apparently, ZA and AVG 9 don't play well together. Thanks for your help. Watch out for hidden anti-virus programs.

Comment

Working...
            X