X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cancel timer?

If I set a device to turn on with a delay, such as:

Basement Wiring Closet Sleep On Delay: 00:10:00

and let's say 5 minutes has gone by and I want to stop this Device from triggering, how do I stop it?

Thanks.

Can't you just delete the delayed event?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

The event is one that I use every night. I don't create it dynamically through a script - it is created through the web interface and I invoke it when a certain time is reached - or manually. The logic is:

We tell homeseer to put the house to sleep (ie. lights off, thermostat setback, alarm, etc.)

I do this by setting a status called sleep to on with a delay of 10 minutes - gives us time to get up the stairs, etc.

But what if I come back down stairs looking for something, the 10 minute timer is still running and I know it is going to set sleep to on, and I want to stop that process.

If I delete the event then I would have to recreate it to run it again? Maybe I am not fully understanding your suggestion?

Thanks.

Comment

Try and check to see if the 'Remove Delayed Event Trigger' works from the action page (then put the house to sleep event as the one you wish to remove), I think it will do what you are asking.

Comment

I think you can do it this way (as mrhappy said). Set up the actions in your original sleep status event in this order:

1. Remove Delayed Event Trigger for <your sleep status event>
          2. Run the action that sets the sleep status, Delay: 00:10:00

This way, if you run the sleep event the first time, it runs as usual with a 10 minute delay (it simply skips the "remove delayed event trigger" because there isn't one).

If you trigger it a second time, it will cancel the first one, and reset the delay to 10 minutes.

The only issue you might have with this is that you cant actually stop the event, only delay it as many times as you want. You could create another event to actually stop the sleep status event (action would be step #1 above without the #2).

=caduceus=

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
            But what if I come back down stairs looking for something, the 10 minute timer is still running and I know it is going to set sleep to on, and I want to stop that process.
            If I delete the event then I would have to recreate it to run it again?
            When you say you want to 'stop the process' do you mean you want to tell it to resume from where you stopped it, rather than start it over again? I don't know how to do that. As others have noted, if you just want to start the timer over, that should be fairly easy to set up.

On the other hand, if you put the house to sleep gradually over the 10 minutes (I didn't think that was what you are doing, but maybe I didn't understand), then it will depend on what those things are and the effect of repeating a sequence that was previously partially done has on each device. In our house our sleep function is in two steps, so I have added a 'reverse' function that will undo all the things the sleep function does in case we want to reset it and start over.

Note added: Just to be clear, when you execute an event to set a status on with a 10 min delay, HS creates a new event, with a time based trigger that is 10 min in the future. It is that event that I was referring to when I suggested deleting the delayed event.
            Last edited by Uncle Michael; November 6, 2009, 09:17 AM. Reason: add clarification
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Interesting problem that I have ran into a few times...

The way I usually try to get around it is by using different logic.

What ever currently triggers "go to sleep event" occurs and sets a status device named "ready to sleep".

Then create an event that if no motion in said room for at least 10 minutes and ready to sleep is on... then procede with sleep mode actions... turning off lights etc.

Comment

It is the actual event that I sometimes want to stop. The only way I can think of to achieve this is to write two scripts?

Comment

So, I definitely do not understand what your event does. Here is what I thought you were doing:
                  We tell homeseer to put the house to sleep ... I do this by setting a status called sleep to on with a delay of 10 minutes - gives us time to get up the stairs, etc.
                  That sounds like you have an event with a delayed action to set a virtual device to On with a delay of 10 minutes. If that is the case, then when you run that event, HS creates a temporary 'Delayed Event' with a specific time trigger set for 10 minutes after you run your house-to-sleep event. You should be able to see the event if you look at the event list during that 10 min window.

If that is what is happening, then you can cancel it by deleting the temporary delayed event manually, or by creating another event that you can activate, say with a button push, that has the action to delete delayed events associated with your virtual device.

If I've got it wrong, I'll need a more specific description of how you have structured your event.

Comment

Sounds to me like you want to do exactly what is explained in the : HomeSeer Online Tutorial on Motion Events.

In the tutorial it is the part where the light is turned of when no-motion is present for x minutes, but is seems to fit your requirements.

Regards,

Richard

Comment

Thanks, Uncle Michael got me on the right track. However, instead of using the temporary event I actually created an event that deletes the delayed timer. I did this because I am calling this particular event from MainLobby and I wanted to make sure that the event name was always the same, even if I changed the original event. I will test it tonight!

Comment

Working...
                      X