Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Audio TOSlink to RCA converters??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Audio TOSlink to RCA converters??

Greetings All!

OK, so my ancient 32" tube TV finally gave-up-the-ghost...and I went out and bought a new Panasonic LCD TV. But my wife is seriously complaining that she has trouble hearing the audio. She usually has the darned thing cranked in the 90-100 range. (She's 51 years old, has had a hearing problem in one ear since childhood, but I believe her hearing may be starting to deteriorate...as her mother's hard-of-hearing now and her grandmother was too.)

My wife said she'd love it if the TV's audio came out of the 2 speakers I already have at the opposite side of the room (from the TV). These speakers have wires that go through the floor, into the basement. Down there I have three stacked old receivers, each with its AV input plugged into a Xantech AV61 distribution amp...and each with its power plugged into a single power strip, which I then have on an X10 lamp control (I think). I use an X10 remote upstairs to power on the speakers and to tell my basement PC what playlist to send to the AV61 via the RCA cable from its sound card.

Anyways, NONE of those three receivers in the basement has a digital audio input. They're all too old.

Now, I went ahead and ordered a 50 foot digital audio cable from Ebay. Already got it.

I was PLANNING on buying a "Digital Audio / TOSlink to RCA converter" off of Ebay and then somehow having my PC's RCA cable and an RCA cable coming from that converter "share" the single set of RCA inputs on that AV61.

BUT, I'm honestly not sure if that's the best way to do it. I thought buying a converter would be a simple thing. But then I found this yahoo post that suggests there's some other way to do it: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5221052AAwyO5d (I really don't understand that "Best answer".)

And then I found, while reading reviews of two different models on Amazon, that these converters might not handle high-definition sound. Also, throw in the fact that some of these converters convert to a SINGLE digital RCA output, while others convert to left-and-right-channel analog outputs.

So, I THINK, since my AV61 has a left-and-right-channel input, the best I'm gonna get is analog sound anyways?

Not quite sure what I should be purchasing.

I might add that I'm not quite sure what to do about that whole "let's have to audio output devices share the AV61" thing.

I'm starting to wonder if I should just keep an eye out for a stereo at local garage sales...one with a digital audio input.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

It sounds like you are seeing 2 different converters - 1 that converts the digital optical audio to digital coax audio, and 1 that converts digital optical audio to stereo analog audio.

The TOSLINK standard is a digital audio that supports 5.1 channels. It's available in coax (using a standard RCA cable, but still digital and needs a DAC) and optical (using the plastic optic cables, also digital needing a DAC).

Does your TV have analog audio outputs? That's what the 'best answer' on the yahoo answers group is referring too - why convert a digital format at a quality loss if you already have analog outs. You may not have this option on your TV, however.

Sounds like you're on the right track, if you can work out the 'dual input' issue on your input device you mentioned.

Comment

RCA cables

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post

Does your TV have analog audio outputs? That's what the 'best answer' on the yahoo answers group is referring too - why convert a digital format at a quality loss if you already have analog outs. You may not have this option on your TV, however.
      I THINK it does. The specs show it. But, oddly enough, on the back, they are in an area that is outlined and labelled as being "input".

I guess the thing to do would be to take a device with RCA audio inputs and try to connect the TV with it and see what happens. I may have a small "boom box" in the garage that would work for that.

But then... will I be able to find RCA stereo cable in a 50 foot length? <grin!>

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Comment

Dave,

Have you considered getting a 5.1 surround sound setup for your TV. I think you will find the sound is dramatically better. Even the cheapest speakers will sound better than the TV. If you have a high definition TV the sound is alos a big part of the movie enjoyment.

When we added surround sound we found the center speaker dramatically improved our ability to hear voices on certain stations and on movies. I think you will find that surround sound is a worthwhile investment.

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

surround sound

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
          Dave,

Have you considered getting a 5.1 surround sound setup for your TV. I think you will find the sound is dramatically better. Even the cheapest speakers will sound better than the TV. If you have a high definition TV the sound is alos a big part of the movie enjoyment.

When we added surround sound we found the center speaker dramatically improved our ability to hear voices on certain stations and on movies. I think you will find that surround sound is a worthwhile investment.

Steve Q

Nah, I can't afford to spend even another $150 on something like that.
          I've got to buy a new /replacement PC soon and that gets priority.

Comment

No RCA audio output

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
            It sounds like you are seeing 2 different converters - 1 that converts the digital optical audio to digital coax audio, and 1 that converts digital optical audio to stereo analog audio.

The TOSLINK standard is a digital audio that supports 5.1 channels. It's available in coax (using a standard RCA cable, but still digital and needs a DAC) and optical (using the plastic optic cables, also digital needing a DAC).

Sounds like you're on the right track, if you can work out the 'dual input' issue on your input device you mentioned.

OK, I just went and looked at the back of my TV again. TV is a Panasonic TC-L37S1. It has two sets of RCA input jacks....one that's labelled as if it's for PC input... the other is labelled "component input". Just to be sure, I plugged in an RCA cable and connected it up to a set of powered PC speakers I had lying around (after testing the speakers to make sure they worked). I had to buy $14 worth of adapters in order to connect two RCA's to a single 1/8" stereo male cable. But, oh well, I'll probably end up using the parts somewhere along the line. Anyways, that didn't work. So, looks like I'm stuck looking for an adapter. I'll start googling, ebaying, and amazoning on that.

Sounds like I need a TOSlink to RCA convertor... but then I'll need an RCA splitter to split the sound out into left and right channels (which, with a casual glance on Amazon, it appears means I'll be stepping down to mono?).

Looks like I've got two models to choose from:
            http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optica...8237051&sr=1-6
            and
            http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Opti...8237051&sr=1-2

So, my choice of those two items and then the appropriate RCA splitter, I think.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-
            Last edited by DR4296; November 14, 2009, 05:35 PM.

Comment

OK, there's some confusion here about the audio formats and the hardware. Note that "RCA" only refers to the type of jack/connection, and doesn't specify what type of signal is traveling through it. Digital audio can be optical (i.e. TOSLink), or coaxial (i.e. RCA), depending on the connectors involved. Analog audio can also use an RCA connector (among other formats like mini-jacks, bare speaker connectors, etc).

My understanding from your initial post is that you have a TV with a DIGITAL OPTICAL output (the square fiberoptic plugs), and your stereo(s) in the basement have ANALOG stereo RCA inputs.

The 2 converters you listed will not work unless you have a DIGITAL coaxial (RCA) input on one of your stereos. Those converters simply convert the multichannel optical audio to multichannel coaxial audio (that is, digital to digital). The guy on Yahoo Answers doesn't know what he's talking about, so ignore that post.

To convert your TV's audio to a format that your stereos will accept, you will need an adapter that converts a digital signal to an analog one (a D/A converter). Any modern receiver will do this, and will likely solve some of your other output issues as well.

I have previously used the converter you were looking at getting before I got a new receiver that had digital inputs. It worked well, and I had no problems with it. It inputs a single optical cable and outputs stereo RCA (L & R individual jacks).

I found another one here: http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-...dGTVDD2AA.html

The reason your experiment didn't work with your TV in your last post is because all the RCA jacks on that TV are INPUTS and not outputs (I looked up pictures of your TV set). They are for connecting a VCR (e.g. the composite/SVideo connection) and a DVD player (the component connection) or the like. They have separate audio inputs so you can switch between the different players from your TV. As far as I can tell, your TV only has the one digital port for connecting an audio output.

As for combining two analog RCA audio into a single set of jacks, I don't have much experience with that. I THINK you could try a pair of those RCA Y-cables that split/combine one RCA connection into two, as long as your using both line-level connections. Connect the two lefts to one cable, and the two rights to the other, then plug each one into an input on your stereo. You won't be stepping down to mono, since the lefts and rights are still separated. I don't have any experience with doing that, so definitely ask around first so you don't short something!

Hope this helps.

=caduceus=

Comment

input jacks

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                The reason your experiment didn't work with your TV in your last post is because all the RCA jacks on that TV are INPUTS and not outputs (I looked up pictures of your TV set). They are for connecting a VCR (e.g. the composite/SVideo connection) and a DVD player (the component connection) or the like. They have separate audio inputs so you can switch between the different players from your TV. As far as I can tell, your TV only has the one digital port for connecting an audio output.

=caduceus=

Yeah, I realized late yesterday that there was a "specs" page on ... I think it was CNET... that was INCORRECT for this model. It said that it had a set of RCA outputs. And that page had come up on page one of a Google search, so I kept stumbling on it whenever I did a search for that TV' specs.

Comment

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                  The 2 converters you listed will not work unless you have a DIGITAL coaxial (RCA) input on one of your stereos. Those converters simply convert the multichannel optical audio to multichannel coaxial audio (that is, digital to digital). The guy on Yahoo Answers doesn't know what he's talking about, so ignore that post.

To convert your TV's audio to a format that your stereos will accept, you will need an adapter that converts a digital signal to an analog one (a D/A converter). Any modern receiver will do this, and will likely solve some of your other output issues as well.

I have previously used the converter you were looking at getting before I got a new receiver that had digital inputs. It worked well, and I had no problems with it. It inputs a single optical cable and outputs stereo RCA (L & R individual jacks).

I found another one here: http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-...dGTVDD2AA.html

=caduceus=
                  OK, I'm confused here. At first, you say that both models that I had linked in my post would NOT work, but then you say "I have previously used the converter you were looking at getting ....It worked well."

???

Hmmm... OK, looked at the link you provided. Found same thing on Amazon and Ebay for $58. Might be cheaper for me to just see if I can CraigsList a fairly-modern receiver and try to get it for maybe $30-35.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Comment

I have the same issue you are having with your LCD sound with my mother who is hard of hearing. I noticed that the sound of the new LCD panel I purchased for her is poor versus the "old" 35" CRT TV sound. She would always crank the TV to 90-100. I set up a first gen MM receiver using the RCA outs from the TV with a center speaker. She prefers not to turn on the MM receiver while watching TV because she saids its too loud. I did notice though that she would crank up the stereo. The alternate setup I did was to purchase a set of wireless headphones which she prefers to use. I ended up using an RCA Y cable to split the audio out from the TV. Its been working well now for about 8 months now.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by DR4296 View Post
                      OK, I'm confused here. At first, you say that both models that I had linked in my post would NOT work, but then you say "I have previously used the converter you were looking at getting ....It worked well."

???

Hmmm... OK, looked at the link you provided. Found same thing on Amazon and Ebay for $58. Might be cheaper for me to just see if I can CraigsList a fairly-modern receiver and try to get it for maybe $30-35.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-
                      Sorry about the confusion. What I meant to say is that the two items you mentioned with Amazon links are both digital-->digital devices, so they won't work with your setup (you need digital-->analog).

Also to clarify, I own the digital-->analog device that was mentioned in the Yahoo Answers post that you referred to (that I thought you were trying to obtain):

http://www.amabilidade2002.com/toslink.htm

I used it a couple of years back when my old receiver didn't have enough digital inputs. It's a bit bulky for what it does, but not that big...about the size of a paperback novel. Comes with a wall-wart adapter so it needs power.

=caduceus=

Comment

Follow-up message

Well, I got my TosLink-to-RCA adapater and it's working fine. But I have one lingering problem that I'm not quite sure how to deal with.:

OK, the TV is on the first floor. A 50' Toslink cable runs through the floor to the basement, where I have my Homeseer PC, plus three stacked stereo receivers, each with 4 speakers connected to them. The three stereos plug into one audio distribution amp (can't remember the model at the moment). And a single audio input runs from the PC to that distribution amp.

Effectively, I've got one audio source, branching three ways.

But now, so that my wife can hear the TV instead of the PC's Media Player, I basically find myself running downstairs and pulling the RCA input cable out of one of the receivers....and instead swapping in the RCA input from the TV / the adapter. And when she wants to listen to music again, I run back downstairs and swap cables. (Yeah, I could connect one set up to, say, the "CD input" and the other up to "VCR input" and then just run downstairs and press a button. But this method's slightly easier for me right now.)

I'm not sure what I should do next to eliminate this need for manual cable-swapping.

Any thoughts?

-= Dave =-

Comment

IR control ??

I just read something that suggested that Homseer can somehow control stereo receivers via IR control. I take it that must mean they communicate in the same manner that the stereo's remote control does?

If so, that might be a solution. I do have the remotes for all three of my receivers (I think). I KNOW I have the remote for the one that I've been doing cable-swapping on, because I tested it just last week. But it just doesn't have the range for me to control that stereo from upstairs.

So, maybe I need some sort of IR repeater to start with? (At least, it sounds like that might be the fastest way to get this working for ONE stereo.) And then, long-term, I may also need to figure out what all I need to make Homeseer take over IR control and manage all three stereos ?

-= Dave =-

Comment

Working...
                          X