Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Stick Only?

The backround:
    Since I've been looking and looking around for a lock solution, the best (easiest / robust / etc.) seems to be for me to use the Schlage locks (dead bolt and lever lock).

The position of my doors makes it nice that if I put the Z-Stick 10' away from my server, the stick is RIGHT in the middle of the doors (my house is an L shape, and one door is near the angle, one door is near the end of one longer line).

I realize that I might have some coms. issues due to the "lack" of Z-network. I plan to put one plugin module (or two if needed) to "extend" or link the farthest door locks to the server. From the forums, it appears that I CAN use just a Z-Stick...but I thought I'd ask one of the Z-Wave gurus (I'm a UPB guy myself...but UPB doesn't have locks!!)

So the question:
    Can I get away with ONLY buying a Z-Stick to control / read status / etc. with the Schlage locks? Besides "optimizing" or some advanced features, am I loosing anything by not getting the Z-TROLLER (understanding that the Z-Troller can operate things by itself and has some advanced network optimizing)?? Can I tell (as the "ad-text" indicates) that person 1 or 2 typed in their code and unlocked the door without having to poll? As in the event caused HS to get updated? Or is this only with the more expensive Z-Troller?

Thanks!

--Dan
    Last edited by drozwood90; November 20, 2009, 02:50 PM. Reason: more info
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Same question here. Bump.

Comment

You can do everything you are looking to do with the the Z-Stick - it is an inclusion controller and is based on the 5.02 library - Z-Seer fully supported and so is optimization of the network.

Z-Wave is based on a mesh technology so if you need to add device for your second door (communications) make sure the device closest to the door supports Z-Wave "Beaming" Technology.

HST is still working on getting the 5.02 library on the Z-Troller firmware. The Z-Stick is firmware upgradeable just like the Z-Troller.

Comment

How do you use the Z-Stick to add devices to the system? With the Z-troller you take it to the devices because it has batteries, how is this done with the z-stick?

Thanks.

Comment

The Z-Stick has a built-in Battery.
          Attached Files

Comment

So devices are added just like the z-toller? But who do you keep track of the node numbers?

Comment

The Z-Stick keeps track of the Node numbers and the software(HS) - one of the nice features of the Z-Troller is the digital display

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
                How do you use the Z-Stick to add devices to the system? With the Z-troller you take it to the devices because it has batteries, how is this done with the z-stick?

Thanks.
                It has a button on the stick to use for inclusion.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  It has a button on the stick to use for inclusion.
                  Sounds warm and cuddly!

Thanks for all the responses!

Now I just need to wait for cash to show up in my account ($5 / week), so I can get the new parts...or maybe some UBER SUPER deal on Z-Wave door stuff??

Especially thanks for letting me know about the beaming!

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread...and it had to be mine!

I was getting ready to buy, and thought I had decided on the Z-Stick, but what are the advantages of this over the SmartStick?

Does this have more memory? Does the Z-Stick support more devices then the SmartStick?

I guess, I'm trying to justify the extra $15 (i.e. I will need to wait 3 more weeks before I can buy, if I decide to get the Z-Stick).

Thanks!

--Dan

Comment

See the "HomeSeer Z-Wave PC Interface Matrix" comparison chart on this page:
                      http://store.homeseer.com/store/PC-Interfaces-C66.aspx
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the link Rupp. I had looked at that. That's actually why I posted.

I spoke with Matt and I think Rich on the phone (as the webpage indicated if I still had issues call). I had time, so I did. I was convinced that the Z-Stick (for my setup) would be the best (at the time I was looking at only the Z-Troller and the Z-Stick).

Then, yesterday during lunch I was thinking about it, and noticed in the Clearance section there was WD SmartSticks, and cheaper.

If I can "put up" with not being able to bring the Smartstick around the house to make sure I'm not registering through a hop, is there a good reason to get the Z-Stick for $15 more?

Can you register new devices if they are only responding through a HOP? Or does the controller NEED direct communication to the device (hence need to get the Z-Stick or Z-Troller in case I have this situation)?

Sorry if my post was not clear enough.

--Dan

Comment

Hey Dan,
                          For what it's worth, I've been using the Aeon Labs Z-stick series II with 17 devices spread around the house (30 more to go!). I've had it for just over a month now. Works without question.

Very easy to add devices too.
                          • Take the Z-Stick and the Z-Wave module to where you want it to go
                          • Plug in the module, press the button on the Z-Stick
                          • Press the button on the Z-Wave module
                          • Wait about 5 seconds, press the button on the Z-Stick again
                          • Go put the Z-Stick back into the computer and import the new device into HomeSeer

So far I've been very happy with the Z-Wave response and reliability. It seems faster and a lot more responsive than Insteon has been.

Although I was perfectly happy with my Insteon setup, I really want those Kwikset deadbolts! So I gave Z-Wave and the Aeon Labs Z-Stick a shot.

Now there is no looking back, changing everything over to Z-Wave, lol!
                          Bryan
                          Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
                          Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
                          X