Looking for a DVR/Capture Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a DVR/Capture Card

I currently have 4 cameras around the yard. I've been messing around this week with video capture cards. The two I bought both used one processor for all 4 channels. That worked fine with their software but that was it.

One used something called RapidOS. That works great on my internal network but only works on port 80 for the internet. Now, I don't want to shut down my whole company so I told Apache (which is what RapidOS uses) to listen 82. Here at home I can go to http://192.168.42.45:82 and it comes up. Starts channels etc. However, when I forward 82 to that guy with my router and go to http://www.spectrumdata.com:82 (you can try this), I get the screen OK but when I click Start Channel, it starts searching for http://www.spectrumdata.com/<myexternalIP>... There is no documentation anywhere about this applet. I've tried using codebase= etc but nothing seems to work.

So, I've about decided I need a stand-alone DVR. Almost all that I've found, like the cards, say "Internet Monitoring" but neglect to mention that it only works with their client software installed.

I'm looking for a stand-alone DVR that can act as its own web browser on a port other than 80. Sounds simple, right? Problem is I don't want to spend $2500 on it.

Has anyone seen a reasonable DVR that will work for this? Or, if not that, some software that can handle these cheap capture cards over the web? Or, if not THAT, a reasonable priced DVR card.

As a final thing, I'd like to be able to use this with HS. I doubt that I'll be able to since it won't be installed on my HS machine. But one can hope.

Thanks,
    John

John,

Check out ZM forums relating to discussions about capture cards. You can get a cheap and functional 8port/8chip card for less than $75.

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/vie...b8450a68df4012

BTW ZM works well with my HS. Just playing with HST. I am able to get fast updates on the TS from ZM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Spectrum is looking for a stand along DVR with the ability to tie it into homeseer, not building his own DVR using zoneminder.

I'll agree that zoneminder is pretty powerful, but it sucked the time out of me for getting it setup... in hindsight I kinda wish I could have just thrown $250-$500 at a stand alone version that would work with homeseer.

It's true that most vendors don't really give you any insight about their software, if it's required, if it's IE only, what kind of streams it supports etc.

I wish there was a good grid detailing all of the options, pros, cons, and prices.
      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

John, check out the DVR's from Q-See

I think they do most of what you want but i wasn't able to integrate with HS other than to have a link to the camera webpage. Some of them do have some relays i think which can be actioned with motion etc which you may be able to send to HS but i have not investigated this. I have the 9 Camera model and have been very happy with it.
        Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Misunderstood in that just noticed this part of Spectrum's post:

Has anyone seen a reasonable DVR that will work for this? Or, if not that, some software that can handle these cheap capture cards over the web? Or, if not THAT, a reasonable priced DVR card.
          I've seen "Costco" specials of stand alones for less than $500 or so. Used digital ones even cheaper on Ebay.

Most of them run proprietary undocumented little Linux kernals (firmware) and have extra HW features like PTZ, etc.

Many years ago had some issues with my first ZM setup mostly because I was a Linux learning curve of sorts but in the last couple of years have set up about 4 of these and the setups have been pretty plug n play with no software/HW issues.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I highly recommend zoneminder. It is rock solid - never crashes or slows, and has some great features. You can download a preconfigured installation (its linux), there are several 4 channel cards ranging from $20 to $1000's - but the one that everyone seems to recommend is $139 from bluecherry

Here is a link to the page with the cards on.

If you decide to go with zoneminder, I can work with you to get it working

(its free, which is even better)

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by nojstevens View Post
              Here is a link to the page with the cards on.
              Link didn't make it through...

I do agree that zoneminder is pretty powerful, but I also think it can be a headache at times if your not a linux guru.

I used to run it, and it ran great for months on end. At some point though something went wrong, and I didn't have the know-how to quickly fix it.
              Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

With ZM and most likely because it is free there is a very large user base. Most of the time issues have been pretty documented in the docs, FAQ or on the forum. I enabled XaP with it and I believe there is still code in it to enable X-10. I integrate this with HS. I stream video / stills over to HS from it. One issue that I have had over the years with it has been MySQL DB errors on occasion. In the FAQ there is a command line step by step to rebuild the database and save your data. The combination of an IR sensor and ZM alarm alert (via XaP) can provide some more discreet motion activated HS events.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

If you look back in the forums, you can find me making all kinds of noise behind driving the Xap feature.... I never even got a chance to use it

HAHA doh.

I'm glad you are though.
                  Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Actually went more into the realm of XaP and kind of dropped the support for X-10.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I bought one at http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/ it handles 4 cameras and was about$400.

Comment

I originally bought a DVR from APEXCCTV.COM. I liked the DVR (quality and such) but the camera motion detection didn't work so well. I don't know if all the models have the same issue. The company was very responsive to all my inquries and even offered me the next model up for the same price (unfortunately, I had already bought another unit when they did that). It was an 8 ch. unit, had 4 alarm inputs and was pretty easy to setup and use. The unit I originally bought was ~$700.

The one I have now has much better camera motion detection (which I've now decided to move away from.... darned bugs!), but also has FTP and E-MAIL capability built in, which I use the e-mail. It has 16 alarm inputs and some alarm outputs (don't use them, so I can't tell you how many there are). The streaming and video quality aren't quite as good, in my opinion, but it's okay for the ~$500 I spent on this one. I'll probably end up replacing it after a couple of years, as I expand my knowledge and experience on what I want to accomplish.

Both units were accessible from a web browser with no extra software to install. My current unit is also accessible from a mobile browser, although it is only static images.

What I lack is any easy way to incorporate the feeds easily into HS2. I was able to embed the mobile web image in HST though.

Good luck.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          With ZM and most likely because it is free there is a very large user base. Most of the time issues have been pretty documented in the docs, FAQ or on the forum. I enabled XaP with it and I believe there is still code in it to enable X-10. I integrate this with HS. I stream video / stills over to HS from it. One issue that I have had over the years with it has been MySQL DB errors on occasion. In the FAQ there is a command line step by step to rebuild the database and save your data. The combination of an IR sensor and ZM alarm alert (via XaP) can provide some more discreet motion activated HS events.
                          Pete, can you elaborate on how you're using xAP with ZM & HS? I'm running ZM too and I ended up writing a HS TCP sockets application to talk to the ZM control port to trigger recording based on HS events (motion, time of day, etc).

Also, I'm using the NetCam plugin to get images into HS, what are you using?
                          Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Working...
                          X