Is HomeSeer Right for Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is HomeSeer Right for Me?

I believe HomeSeer will be a good choice, but want to get some feedback. I am a current X10 and Girder user, but seem to be outgrowing it.

I still want to use my X10 products and CM15A if possible and also the USB-UIRT. Would it be pretty easy then to just go to HomeSeer to control lighting and AV equipment? I just want to control AV equipment with X10 RF commands.

Can the HomeSeer config be downloaded to the CM15A so that at least the lighting would operate if the computer was off? Or must the computer remain on for this to operate? I really don't want to lose the ability to operate lighting with or without the computer on.

Is the learning curve better or comparable when compared to Girder?

Lastly, how reliable is HSTouch when connected to the iPhone? Meaning, can it be left on permanantly without disconnecting from the server?

Here is a video of my current setup and what I can do with the iPhone, Girder, and Snatch (iPhone app). It looks pretty close to Homeseer, but I want to make sure I don't lose capability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6AlmUzmzY

Originally posted by aslamma View Post
    I believe HomeSeer will be a good choice, but want to get some feedback. I am a current X10 and Girder user, but seem to be outgrowing it.

I still want to use my X10 products and CM15A if possible and also the USB-UIRT.
    These both work with HS
    Would it be pretty easy then to just go to HomeSeer to control lighting and AV equipment? I just want to control AV equipment with X10 RF commands.

Can the HomeSeer config be downloaded to the CM15A so that at least the lighting would operate if the computer was off? Or must the computer remain on for this to operate?
    HomeSeer was designed to run on an always on PC/Server so it can use the incoming logic as conditions to other actions. So, no HomeSeer doesn't support uploading to the CM15A
    I really don't want to lose the ability to operate lighting with or without the computer on.

Is the learning curve better or comparable when compared to Girder?
    This totally depends on how deep you want to dive into HomeSeer. Events and devices are easy. Scripting get a bit more complicated

Lastly, how reliable is HSTouch when connected to the iPhone? Meaning, can it be left on permanantly without disconnecting from the server?
    One of the iPhone guru's will need to comment on this one
    Here is a video of my current setup and what I can do with the iPhone, Girder, and Snatch (iPhone app). It looks pretty close to Homeseer, but I want to make sure I don't lose capability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6AlmUzmzY
    What makes HomeSee easier to learn over other apps is this robust message board and the user base that is willing to help if they can. Download the 30 day trial and give it a whirl. We're here if you need us. Also don't forget about the HomeSeer help desk and your free 30 days of support as well.

http://www.homeseer.com/pub/setuphs2_4_0_1.exe
    Last edited by Rupp; December 3, 2009, 02:02 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks, I am ready to give it a shot. I just want to be sure there is a good chance it will meet my needs before I spend a lot of time only to find out it may not.

I agree with you about the board. I have not seen a comparable forum for any other piece of HA software.

Comment

Rupp,

Are you sure the CM15 plugin does support both RF reception and X10 ?
        --
        stipus

Comment

Originally posted by stipus View Post
          Rupp,

Are you sure the CM15 plugin does support both RF reception and X10 ?
          No it doesn't but I said:
          "I still want to use my X10 products and CM15A if possible and also the USB-UIRT.
          These both work with HS"

Comment

Yes but he also wrote:

I just want to control AV equipment with X10 RF commands
            ... and I don't think the CM15 plugin can handle RF commands. (I may be wrong as I never tested this plugin, but I think I read this some time ago).

For this, I think he needs an aditional RFXCOM receiver...
            --
            stipus

Comment

Ah, I mis-read that post. You are correct in that HomeSeer will not work with the CM15A RF. Thanks for catching that.

Comment

So is there a reason for this? Bother Girder and Bill's Voice Commander can natively accept X10 RF so it obviously could be done.

I am just not a big fan of adding hardware to my huge rats nest. This means:

Bad:
                Add USB to Serial cable
                Add USB hub
                Add RF X10 Hardware
                Add Antenna
                Add Hassle of purchasing/waiting/software intall/hardware isntall/mounting/etc.
                Lose $
                Lose Consolidation

Good:
                May get better reception, although my reception is fine after an antenna mod to the CM15A

I am not trying to be negative so I hope it doesnt come across that way, but why is the user forced to do this when the hardware already exists and it is not really necessary?

Although, I am still wondering if the RF won't work without this? I will give it a shot ASAP.
                http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=129964

EDIT: All that being said, I just installed it and then enabled the CM15A plugin. In the event log, it is finding the X10 codes so this would seem to me that it the RF is working just fine. I have not tried to tie it to any action or anything because I don't know how yet, but it does at least appear to be working Good news
                Last edited by ; December 3, 2009, 11:51 PM.

Comment

That's good news.

Rupp: as soon as this is confirmed, you should ask Marc to edit the HS store CM15a plugin text, as it's written the plugin is not compatible with X10 RF....
                  --
                  stipus

Comment

CM15 vs CM15A ?

I am confused, I own an Australian supplied 'CM15' which is a USB only device that has inbuilt RF. Does HS2 fully support this device?

I currently have the X10 Technologies 2006 USB drivers installed on a Windows 7 setup, is there a different OS level driver I should be using for this device with HS2?

Comment

HomeSeer does not work with the RF of this device. I would check with the supplier of the hardware and see if they have W7 drivers.

Comment

Rupp, Thanks...

Looks like HS2 is not for me unfortunately. I use the CM15 with an HA114 Transceiver to extend my RF range and need to issue RF commands from the CM15.

Comment

Working...
                        X