How do I learn IR? - Fixed :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I learn IR? - Fixed :)

This should be simple, but apparently I can't get it.

I installed and activated the USB-UIRT plugin. I then clicked on edit/Infrared Signals. After this, I can get the point where there is a green learn button. When I press it, nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong? I don't get it.

--- Something I note is that when firing a signal at the USB-UIRT, nothing ever happens in the log. I am not sure how HomeSeer works, but I would have thought it would give some indication that something was received, even if it did nothing with it.

Which browser are you using? You should see a popup box that appears that has instructions. Do you have a popup blocker active?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

sometimes the popup box actually pops-under!
      Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

I have internet explorer, whatever ships with Win7, so it should be the latest version. But I have never used it before (use Firefox). I did look for the popup blocker, but could not find it. And I did look behind it and saw nothing either.

But now that I know what I should be looking for, I can try to see what to do about it. Can it be run in Firefox? Are there some settings that I need to consider?

Comment

Ok, I got it now. I had to turn the popup blocker off AND it pops up behind the window. Maybe it's the newer version or lack of familiarity with IE, but I thought it used to show a thin pane that would tell you a popup was trying to occur and you then chose what u wanted to do. It did not appear so I did not think any popup was trying to happen eventhough it was. Totally unintuitive

Comment

Ok, I'm having trouble even finding a green learn button or the page that the button is on. I installed & enabled the usbuirt OK. But, I can't find a page for learning or configuring.

Help.

Comment

Had some problems with this - but eventually solved them. Here are a couple of tips for anybody else trying the same thing.

1) Go to Tools >> Infrared Signals
              2) Type in a Device Name (TV) and a Signal Name (Power) and click the Add button. Usually you don't change the number - it points to the next available storage location. You should now see the device has been added and you have a Green 'Learn Button'
              3) Click Learn - a dialog (Learn IR Code) will pop up. Note - this is a windows dialog not a browser window (presumably you need to be on the actual server to see it). It may also appear beneath your browser.
              4) Hold your remote very close to the USBUIRT - a couple of inches. Press and hold till the progress indicator shows complete
              5)A new dialog appears "Please release the button on your remote and press it a single time to capture the IR' Press the button once. The signal is now captured.
              6) Press the blue button to Test
              7) Click the green Save button.

Note: The USBUIRT has 2 IR receivers. The standard one is long range so can receive signals across the room. The learning IR receiver is very short range. When I tried it I wasn't near enough - this had a stange effect - the USBUIRT appeared to work when I aimed the remote at it (red light flashed), but when I put it into learn (and I was too far away) it appeared to suddenly stop working - because it had switched to the limited range learning sensor.

Oh yes - I also had the license problem mentioned. Make sure your settings.ini has 'gSelectedIRInterface=USB-UIRT Interface' - somehow HS2 had put that in there but truncated it to 'Interfa' - which appeared to cause the licence problem.
              Last edited by ; September 6, 2010, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X