Seeking simple sensor input method for HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking simple sensor input method for HS

I am looking for an easy (inexpensive) way to sense when my alarm system gets triggered so that I can have HS send an email to my phone. (I don't want to have to wait till the alarm company finds me.) I would rather not use X10 for this because I want things to be robust and also to I want it to still work if the bad guys cut power to my house. The alarm has battery backup and the computer and telecom units all are powered by a UPS.

I have seen interface units that cost hundreds of dollars but I am just interested in sensing one relay closing (or votage change). Can this be done using the parallel port or some other means without going wild on cost?

Which alarm system are you using? Does it offer connectivity to a serial port by any chance?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Have a look at Stipus's direct input connector. You can use a cheap joystick for several inputs: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=115712
      Jon

Comment

I would go game port for this, it has 4 digital inputs (can't remember if you are meant to input high or low, would need to check this) and the DI connector as Jon00 suggested, you would only need a plug, some wire and you may need an opto isolator or relay depending on what your alarm outputs.

Using two inputs could also be a fail safe to eliminate a circuit error and have HS check both inputs are the same...

Comment

I downloaded Stipus' plugin, went out and bought a cheap game controller and now I have more inputs than I know what to do with!

Thanks y'all for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X