"Killer UPB Apps"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Killer UPB Apps"

On a recient thread the Web Mountain CM-01 was mentioned. This is the same product as the Simply Automated UMI. I used this unit to multi-task at a rolling enterance gate application. It has 2 dry contact closers; one I used to either cycle the gate or hold it open. The other contacts are used with a timer and hold closed when it is dark.

The unit also has 3 sensor inputs with many options. I use the same gate controller to monitor a magnetic switch on the gate. When the gate is opened after dark (by car remote) the unit sends a link to turn on as scene of driveway lights, garage lights, and open the garage door. In the daytime it only sends the command to open the garage door. I wired the magnet sensor through the second set of contacts so it would only send a link when it was dark.

Here is a link to a thread with further details. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=116596

This was done on a home without a central controller, Just a UPB timer.

Dave

could those devices be used to monitor AND control a garage door? Would i still be able to have local "manual" control of garage door? can you give a wiring diagram example?

thanks,

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Ian,

Yes, you could use a UMI and keep all of the existing functions. Please look at the second page of this link http://simply-automated.com/document...ide_090512.pdf

It shows all of the features of the UMI. The cool thing about this device is you can use several of the features at the same time.

In the case of a garage door, "Output #1" can be connected to the same contacts on the garage door opener, where the the button on the wall connects (in parallel). When a link is sent to the UMI it will open or close the garage door.

If you mount a magnet operated switch to the garage door and connect the switch to "Input 2 or 3" the device can send a link resulting in a status of the garage door.

With Homeseer you could monitor the door condition and send a command that could close the door (if open). The problem with this is: Control of a garage door opener is a toggle. If the last time the door was operated it was closing but was stopped. The next time a command is sent the door will open.

There may be other ways to do this (jump in anyone).

Another idea is:

You could setup the magnet switch to have closed contacts when the door is OPEN. Wire a series circuit from one side of the door operator contacts through the magnet switch. Out the other side of the magnet switch to contact #1 on the UMI. From contact #2 on the UMI wire back to the other contact on the garage door opener. Wired this way, when a link is received by the UMI the door will do nothing when the door is closed. If the door is open it will cycle. At this point it still could be open as noted above. You will need to send the command/link a second time with enough time between the sends for the door to cycle. This time the door will either do nothing because it is closed or cycle again to close.

I know this is wordy and a bit confusing. I am doing this from memory. Hope it helps.

Now I am going to play with the idea and try to take it to the next level. I will let you know what I figure out.

Dave

Comment

I have door magnets on my garage door at the fully open and fully closed positions. I maintain a virtual device that has three states for the door: OPEN, CLOSED, NEITHER.
        tenholde

Comment

tenholde,

That is also a good option.

Thanks
          Dave

Comment

Tenholde,

Are you using a UMI to interface between the 2 switches and your controller? Or something else.

Dave

Comment

Umi
              tenholde

Comment

Working...
              X