X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get from here to there

Hi everyone!

I need some advise.

I currently have a older computer running HS 2.3.0.19. This system has been very stable and worked well for me. I recently purchased a new computer for my home automation. I have also purchased HS PRO and need to install everything on the new computer and be running the latest HS PRO on the new system. I have 47 devices and currently 99 events, and don't want to loose these. I have looked at Rupp's instruction for updating a system to PRO and looked at the "How To" on transfering a current system to a new computer. I would like any advise on how to proceed with this task. Should I upgrade to PRO on the current system then transfer to the new computer or install PRO on the new system and move my HS files from the old system to the new, or is there a better way?

Thanks

i recently did this, and i decided to do a clean install and rebuild everything. in the past i've changed computers and whatnot and simly copied the HS directory and whatnot and it was easy enough. There were three reasons i decided to start from scratch:

going from hs standard to hspro
    going from vista to win7 (not a huge jump, but i wanted to minimize chances for problems)
    my old setup had been running for 5 years, and it had become quite...interesting. there were lots of events that didn't work too well, things i had done and then undone, and then redone, and so on.

so, here's how i did it:

printed out EVERYTHING (devices, events, com ports, etc)
    backed it up (incase things didn't go well)
    setup the new computer with everything i wanted, all the updates, plugins, etc
    copied scripts over, setup the plugins & comports
    started creating devices, then events

It didn't take as long as i thought it would...a good solid weekend got me mostly back to minimal mode, and i've been rebuilding the less important things from there.

i currently have 433 devices and 169 events...a lot less than i did before, but everything is pretty much functioning the same way, plus more stuff.

I'm glad i did it this way, my setup is "cleaner."

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

My last new system I did that way as well. It's amazing how much junk you accumulate in HomeSeer, that and some very poorly done events alone was enough to make me happy I did it that way. It's almost funny when you go back and look at some of the early things you do with HomeSeer.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
        My last new system I did that way as well. It's amazing how much junk you accumulate in HomeSeer, that and some very poorly done events alone was enough to make me happy I did it that way. It's almost funny when you go back and look at some of the early things you do with HomeSeer.
        Me too! I think it's a combination of learning curve, ever evolving setup, and just a little bit of sloppiness.

It's almost like when you move, you look around and say, "where did all this crud come from!?"
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
          Me too! I think it's a combination of learning curve, ever evolving setup, and just a little bit of sloppiness.

It's almost like when you move, you look around and say, "where did all this crud come from!?"
          Oh, ain't that the truth!! My last move, hopefully the final move, I sold or gave away everything, and I mean everything and moved with a few suitcases. My kids love when dad moves yet again and come around like jackals circling for the kill. I visit all my old stuff at their houses now.
          Marty
          ------
          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Thanks guys

I was hoping for the easy way out, but it sound like I should shut down the system for a few days and take the plunge with a all new system. The wife is not going to like that!

Thanks again

Comment

My PRO upgrade was seamless...

I upgraded a 2.1.something regular system to PRO after the big upgrade sale.

I was very worried about massive problems, but I followed the advice in Rupp's thread, and it was no big deal. All my plugins worked, all my events seemed to work, etc.

Now, I don't have Z-wave. I've heard that the latest upgrade to HS (2.4.x) can be a major pain in the rear if you have a complicated Z-wave system, depending on your communications, and whatever else. There is a "Very active" thread on 2.4 right now.

Going to 2.3.019 PRO "should" be a piece of cake.

Can't speak to the "moving the whole system" idea, never done it. I'm still happy on my C2Duo machine running XP.

Good Luck!

Gayle Snedecor

Comment

I looked at my system closely last night as I was making printouts of the events etc, and don't see a lot of event or scripts that need cleaning up. I think I will move the system and up grade instead of starting new. My question is should I upgrade the curent box to PRO then move it to the new box, or should I move to the new box then upgrade?

Any coments?

Comment

Ok, I was very successful this last weekend at updating to PRO 2.4.0.6. Every thing worked from start and has been running with no problems for 4 days. This weekend is the move from the P3 system to a P4 with lots more processer speed. Is http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=120948 still the best/preferred way to move the system?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X