Question for beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for beginner

I had used X10 light switches for last 10 years, but now I need to change them.

I have been looking at the switchlinc insteon switches as well as the PLM as the computer interface for scheduling.

My question is

1) if I am using the PLM interface and not really using any remotelincs do I need to get the access points? or will the PLM handle all the powerline signals and I do not need the access points?

2) do the switchlincs act as repeaters? or will I have problems at distances from the PLM?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Since this is the Insteon portion of the Forums I'll let the Insteon people answer your questions directly. All I'd like to throw out there is, since you're starting over with a lighting protocol research, research, research. Make sure it's what you really want before you jump in with both feet.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by helenrosenstock View Post
      I had used X10 light switches for last 10 years, but now I need to change them.

I have been looking at the switchlinc insteon switches as well as the PLM as the computer interface for scheduling.

My question is

1) if I am using the PLM interface and not really using any remotelincs do I need to get the access points? or will the PLM handle all the powerline signals and I do not need the access points?
      The Access Points are not only RF receivers they more importantly are phase couplers. This is needed if you have devices on each phase of the powerline. Two are needed to do the bridging.
      2) do the switchlincs act as repeaters? or will I have problems at distances from the PLM?
      Switchlincs do repeat Insteon signals.
      Thanks in advance for any help.
      helenrosenstock, welcome to the HomeSeer message board. See responses above.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

There is a device that you can plug into your electric dryer that is a phase coupler, and there are other devices you can use at your circuit breaker panel to do the coupling.

If by chance all your devices are on one phase, you may not need to phase couple.

Also, the new HS Insteon beta plug in developed by Mark Sandler has a great feature where it reliably collects communication data. You could try that plug in and see if the access points allow or improve your communications. If they don't add anything, return them.

On the other hand, there are a lot of new Insteon devices that require the wireless access points including remotelincs, triggerlincs, and the insteon thermostats.

Comment

Working...
        X