Curious about the RFX plug-in vs. ACRF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious about the RFX plug-in vs. ACRF2

I've been using the ACRF2 for a year and a half and been very happy with it. However as time goes on I've found that Jon is not actively supporting it any longer. I did get him to add support for the THWR800 floating sensor, but that took over 8 months of constant email prodding. In the end he came through for me, so I have to give him credit.

But now I'm adding water, AC, and gas meters with the RFXcom pulse transmitter and running into problems again. I need a divide by 10 option in the ACRF2 for the water meter (10 pulses/gal) and it's not available. I suspect I'll have similar calibration problems with AC and gas.

So I'm considering switching over to Bert's RFXcom plug-in since it can do this. A few questions for anyone who knows both the ACRF2 and RFXcom plug-ins. I'd rather know what I'm getting into before even trialling it. FYI, I'm using the RFX dual band (310/433) USB receiver (works great).

1) Will the ACRF2 and RFXcom plug-ins work together (both installed and being used). Will they share the same device codes?

2) Is there a reason to use both or NOT use both?

3) Does RFXcom have the ability to require 2 transmissions of X10 to reduce false signaling but not require it from environmental sensors? This is a problem for the current version of ACRF2.

4) What is your favorite and least favorite feature of the RFXcom plug-in?

5) When I go to the updater and click on more info for RFXcom plug-in it takes me to a page showing a box with wall wart power supply. WTF is that? Is there more than just software?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Mr Spock View Post
    I've been using the ACRF2 for a year and a half and been very happy with it. However as time goes on I've found that Jon is not actively supporting it any longer. I did get him to add support for the THWR800 floating sensor, but that took over 8 months of constant email prodding. In the end he came through for me, so I have to give him credit.

Mr Spock,

Which ACRF2 version supports the floating THWR800? I'm running ACRF2 version 1.1.3226.27426 from the updater and it doesn't list the THWR800 in the env sensor configuration.

Thanks,
    Don

Comment

I was using the ACRF and then the ACRF2 plugins forever, Oman has always been very helpful but as of late he seems to have fell off the face of earth... so I now use the RFXCom with Berts near 24 / 7 support, thanks Bert any issues I had Bert has helped with and as its being actively supported would seem a better option.

TrOjAn

Comment

Did you receive any answers???? Curious about the RFX plug-in vs. ACRF2
        Last edited by hoods; January 14, 2010, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoods View Post
          Did you receive any answers????
          Who or what post is this in reference to?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Having recently installed the RFX plugin, and being a long time user of ACRF2, I can help with a few of your questions. My intention was to switch but I did run into a snag...

Yes, the two plugins can run simultaneously but of course cannot share COM ports so you'd need separate receivers for each.

I'm currently using the RFX plugin with the dual RFXCOM receiver dealing with Oregon and RFX sensors. I use ACRF2 to deal with motion and door/window sensors connected to a W800 receiver.

The down side I ran into is that the RFX receiver was intentionally designed with a very narrow bandpass and doesn't recognize about 95% of my DS10's which by their nature often transmit slightly off frequency. There is a fix for this but I don't want to have to dismantle and fiddle with more than 25 installed DS10's to make them work with the RFX plugin. I'd expect the same problem with the motion sensors (MS14/16's). The W800 receiver isn't so discerning and works well with ACRF2.
            The RFXCOM plugin does have some nice features that ACRF2 lacks in dealing with the analog sensors, but then, ACRF2 has some features (remapping housecodes with offsets for instance) that RFX currently omits.
            So, if I were you, I'd trial the plugin and see if it offers any advantage to you.
            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

From a support point of view Bert and rfx is outstanding.
              Best,
              Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

Working...
              X