Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

finally setting up theater room - speaker placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally setting up theater room - speaker placement?

well, with my basement being almost done, i'm finally getting to the theater room.

I have an L shaped sectional in there that takes up most of the room. I'm planning on running 7.2 surround sound, and the rear surrounds are puzzling to me. i have the couch right up against the wall (or maybe 1' off the wall). I have tower speakers I plan on using, so i'm assuming I should elevate them so they aren't behind the couch. if I do that, however, won't the top of the speakers be so high that it would be just as bad?

Is this a case where "bookshelf" speakers would actually be more preferable, because they can be mounted higher and aimed down at the seating area?

Thanks,

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Sounds like you are using way to much speaker for rears. The rears are generally the smallest speakers and most I've seen have been mounted on those pole looking stands.
    http://www.google.com/products?q=rea...N&hl=en&tab=wf
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

that's what I was thinking. I actually have a few inwall speakers that I didn't know what I was going with...I think i'll just put them in the wall in my theater room, and save the cost of the speakers and speaker stands.

thanks!

Ian
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

That's even a better idea and it will look "neater".
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have a mix for my family room surround sound. Recently added the 7.1 piece with two more speakers while redoing the entire family room. (ripped out the fireplace and installed a new one, painted, new electrical...).

The front setup is external with:
          1 - two JBL towers on each side of the LCD/Media receiver.
          2 - Center used to be JBL and now Bose underneath a new LCD base cabinet.

Subwoofer - JBL - used to be adjacent to media receiver. Moved to rear of room corner (along with new electric and audio connections).

Rear channels - white, metal cabinets generic (very heavy) 6" woofer / separate tweeter hung near ceiling on pivotal mounting brackets in the rear corners of the listening area.

Center rear channels - ceiling mounted two speakers (around $100 each or so).

While doing this also redid all of the cabling wall plates and converted the wall plates to "in-wall" versus surface mounted plates. I did add about 6 CAT5E connections to a patch panel in the basement. The most difficult part was the RG-6 connections. I ended up using a very thin RG-6 cable. I like the cable so much used it externally too.

I'm currently at a point of what type of MM receiver to purchase as I want all the bells and whistles and they are not really available unless you want to spend some....one of the basics is here though and thats upconverting any video resource to HDMI (helps with the transition from analogue to digitial for me).
          Last edited by Pete; January 26, 2010, 09:34 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X