Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new house, security and automation design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new house, security and automation design?

to all,
    building new house (stsarting groundbreaking in 2 weeks).
    I've used HomeSeer at a remote vacation home, and am looking to incorporte zwave, and alarm system, (security and fire/carbon monoxide), and wireless phone->to->bluetooth box (that lets the cell phone be used by all the phones of a cordless phone system)

first, any ideas of security systems that can tie in with homeseer, or talk to homeseer (preferably wireless ones)
    second - as we build, WHAT do I have to incorporate into the building plans, for any wiring, etc, so that down the road, I don't have to go climbing in the attic or basement (but i do have good basement access) to run new wires, etc, so at least any necessary wiring is planned out as we build.

Example, I'v eseen some of the remote scene controllers for zwave (have not used one), versus installig a 6-scene leviton controller at the front door, etc, or are the wired ones better?

I'm not looking for super-extensive controlling (or my wife will shoot me), but some lighting controls for outside lights, and some scene controls (leaving, entering, possible thermostast control)

(I currently use the wayne dalton at the remote house)

any feedback appreciated
    thanks
    Nick

Originally posted by aoz View Post
    to all,
    building new house (stsarting groundbreaking in 2 weeks).
    I've used HomeSeer at a remote vacation home, and am looking to incorporte zwave, and alarm system, (security and fire/carbon monoxide), and wireless phone->to->bluetooth box (that lets the cell phone be used by all the phones of a cordless phone system)

first, any ideas of security systems that can tie in with homeseer, or talk to homeseer (preferably wireless ones)
    HomeSeer works with many security systems. Caddx, Napco, DSC, Ademco Vista, Elk. They all offer wireless options. The Caddx, Napco, Ademco Vista, and DSC are all affordable systems. The ELK systems are on the more expensive side
    second - as we build, WHAT do I have to incorporate into the building plans, for any wiring, etc, so that down the road, I don't have to go climbing in the attic or basement (but i do have good basement access) to run new wires, etc, so at least any necessary wiring is planned out as we build.
    I would recommend setting down and deciding what you want in each room and where. The start drawing plans on which wire needs to be in each location. At a minimim, 2 cat 5/6 and 2 RJ6's in each room. Security wireing to all windows and exterior doors as well as the garage door. Security wiring to the corners of each room for motion sensors.
    Example, I'v eseen some of the remote scene controllers for zwave (have not used one), versus installig a 6-scene leviton controller at the front door, etc, or are the wired ones better?

I'm not looking for super-extensive controlling (or my wife will shoot me), but some lighting controls for outside lights, and some scene controls (leaving, entering, possible thermostast control)

(I currently use the wayne dalton at the remote house)

any feedback appreciated
    thanks
    Nick
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

thanks for reply, I went online and saw some of the dsc stuff, looks neat, especially their thin sensor.
      with the wireless sensors, esp. motion, i may not need much wiring either, but am debating types to use

any other info appreciated, articles on how to link the zwave and the security stuff
      i'll also browse this forum more.
      thanks
      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by aoz View Post
        thanks for reply, I went online and saw some of the dsc stuff, looks neat, especially their thin sensor.
        with the wireless sensors, esp. motion, i may not need much wiring either, but am debating types to use

any other info appreciated, articles on how to link the zwave and the security stuff
        i'll also browse this forum more.
        thanks
        Nick
        If you are building a house from the ground, put in as much wire as you can afford, because once you get some of the automation stuff working, you'll want more. The wireless stuff is generally more expensive and less reliable than the wired solution. The wireless security sensors work, but they are larger than the wired and more visible. You can buy a wired door sensor for a buck, but the wireless will cost you $20 - $40. Consider running a Cat5 or 4 conductor security wire to every thermostat location. You can still use some wireless stuff later for the places you have not ran the wires to. Good luck!

Comment

In addition to things like door and window sensors and speaker wires and all the other things inside the house, give careful consideration to things outside the house. I would love to have a single security camera outside that looked at the house and driveway. I would like to have a car sensor embedded in the driveway. I would like to have motion sensors at strategic points in the back yard. And I would have a plan on how I would add solar panels in the next 10 years.

Steve Q
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
          X