Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IR distrbution via homeseer and a remote.... how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR distrbution via homeseer and a remote.... how?

So right now I have an AVR, Projector, STB and HTPC controlled via logitech harmony 890 RF with the RF extender and IR blasters.... it works great! really high WAF.

Now that I own homeseer and a touchscreen in the wall I also want to be able to control the equipment with homeseer.

is there any good way to connect my RF -> IR extender to one of the homeseer sold IR distribution modules and have homeseer and my Harmony remote both control the same equipment.

I know with IR there is no way for homeseer or the remote to know what state the device is in... but most of my items have dedicated on and off ir codes... so i think i could program around those issues.

i was just wondering what others have done for Remote control and HS IR control.

thanks guys

Sure get you one of the Ocelots or better yet the BitWise Controls BC4 with BCX-1 expansion module, learn your IR codes, and hook the output of the Ocelot to your RF setup and create an event to send the commands.
    http://store.homeseer.com/store/BC4-...s-P605C47.aspx
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

But... Be carefull, Harmony remotes are activity based.

If HS turn on the TV, your remote will not know it and will become out of sync with your equipments. You will have to depend on the help function of the remote to make everything work. This could affect the WAF...

Homeseer should create a remote that connect to our HS server using Wifi. A remote similar to the Harmony 900, with direct IR, RF and discreet output. The small touchscreen would run HSTouch. And it should cost less than 300$ ;-)

Comment

Yea, the idea is you would turn over most of the remote control to HomeSeer. Ie you have a light switch that when clicked starts movie mode. The TV is set to the correct input, the Blue Ray player is turned on, the receiver is turned on and set to surround, and the lights are dimed. Then all your harmony would need to do is volume control.

Comment

if i use the output from the Ocelots or the BitWise Controls BC4 with BCX-1 expansion module

There is no input on the RF -> IR harmony device....

but could i do it the other way..... will the bitwise or ocelot work as a pass-through for IR? from the harmony RF -> IR?

I think with descrete on, off command and some good programming I think I could get the activities to work right for the harmony remote....

so even if homeseer turned on the AVR and changed input for music listen and I clicked watch TV on the harmony it would send the AVR ON, AVR input DVR, PJ ON and therefore would not get anything out of sync...

now I would have to hav all descrete on/off IR commands for everything to get it to work right....

Comment

Originally posted by Adidas4275 View Post
            if i use the output from the Ocelots or the BitWise Controls BC4 with BCX-1 expansion module

There is no input on the RF -> IR harmony device....

but could i do it the other way..... will the bitwise or ocelot work as a pass-through for IR? from the harmony RF -> IR?

I think with descrete on, off command and some good programming I think I could get the activities to work right for the harmony remote....

so even if homeseer turned on the AVR and changed input for music listen and I clicked watch TV on the harmony it would send the AVR ON, AVR input DVR, PJ ON and therefore would not get anything out of sync...

now I would have to hav all descrete on/off IR commands for everything to get it to work right....
            Let us know if it's work. I've never use the IR in of my ocelot.

I have an Harmony 550 remote that we don't use very much. We don't like the feel of the key. The Harmony One (or 900) that I played with at our FutureShop look a lot better. The button are easier to the touch.

Comment

okay so for now I think I am going to use my (prior owned) USB-UIRT to control my AVR via homeseer.

then once I get my lighting and HVAC setup how i want it I will tackle all my AV equipment with a more expensive device.

I think, i could be wrong, but the USB-UIRT w/ plugin can be used to send IR commands from homeseer events and therefore i can create a script or button on HS touch that sends IR codes from the USB-UIRT

I should have some time to tackle this in the next couple days

thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Adidas4275 View Post
                I think, i could be wrong, but the USB-UIRT w/ plugin can be used to send IR commands from homeseer events and therefore i can create a script or button on HS touch that sends IR codes from the USB-UIRT
                Yes, this is how this plugin works.

Comment

great so that means my weekend will be full.... learning how to script, learning how to work the USB-UIRT, installing 3 more light switches and a motion detector and then making it all work together

Comment

Working...
                  X