Beginner setting up motion detectors...sorta works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner setting up motion detectors...sorta works

I just set up a simple event to turn on some lights. The lights I am turning on are a mixture of UPB and X-10. Here are the devices and a quick description:

-RS232 is my upb interface

-SSAUS1140W UPB master dimmer switch with a UPB slave dimer SSAUSR140W set for one set of lights (this works flawlessly through HS for all commands I send)

-SSAUS1140W UPB master dimmer switchfor another set of lights. They do not require a slave as it is the only switch...something is funky with that, however, as they turn on and off with the above set...I think i just have a wire switches, but it also works flawlessly when sending commands via HS

-WS12A X10 master dimmer switch...only switch for set of lights. These seem to work ok through HS. The dim doesn't get nearly as low at 10% as the UPB lights do. It seems to get a little confused when sending commands when dimming...HS doesn't recognize when it is on / off / what it is set to. I can, however, change the dim via HS. I'll troubleshoot more to find out when it gets confused exactly.

-CM15A X10 interface

-MS16A Action Eye motion sensor

Regardless of my quirks I have on my setup, when my motion sensor works, it sends commands flawlessly.

I have the motion sensor set up to turn on all of those lights, and then off in 5 seconds (for testing).

When I am within around 20 feet of the CM15A, it works ok; however, as soon as I move around a corner, moving upstairs, or around 30-40 feet away, it simply does not recognize the commands.

Is this caused by a flaky setup? X10 "noise"? Or, a limitation to the range of the motion sensor? Or, a combination of the above?

If it is caused by the range of the motion sensor, then how do I boost it up? The motion sensors will need to be placed on 3 levels of house (interface will be in the basement), and some will be outside also.

A related device I will be wanting to use are the wireless cameras that X10 offers, and the remote controls.

So, with all that being said, what are my options to produce the results I want? What steps / troubleshooting should I take?

Originally posted by dzirkelb View Post
    When I am within around 20 feet of the CM15A, it works ok; however, as soon as I move around a corner, moving upstairs, or around 30-40 feet away, it simply does not recognize the commands.
    I'm a bit confused. Do you have the motion sensor in your hand when you are moving around because obviously the sensor isn't going to see you if you move around a corner.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

What I was doing is walking with the motion sensor waving my hand in front of it constantly, checking for distance. But, sometimes, I'll set it down and just walk past it waving my hands...and, if it's too far away, then the lights won't come on. The red light on the motion sensor shows, but nothing happens.

Comment

Gotcha. Many of us either use the W800 receiver or the RFXCom X10 receivers. These receivers have a really good range and at least one of the plugins will allow multiple receivers for better range.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

It looks like the W800 receiver is what I'm looking for. The rfxcom.com page was just confusing to me, and, the prices were not in us dollars.

So, how does that piece incorporate with Home Seer? Does it allow multiple input rf commands? meaning, it will recognize multiple motion detectors and will be able to distinguish between them?

What is the range and can there be more than one installed in one house?

Comment

It looks like the W800 receiver is what I'm looking for. The rfxcom.com page was just confusing to me, and, the prices were not in us dollars.

So, how does that piece incorporate with Home Seer?
            You'll need a plug-in. I use ACRF2. It works very well.
            Does it allow multiple input rf commands? meaning, it will recognize multiple motion detectors and will be able to distinguish between them?
            Yes. and Yes.
            What is the range and can there be more than one installed in one house?
            I have two of them. Other people have three or more. With a good antenna you can expect 50 to 300 feet, depending on how many walls and other obstructions are in the way.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Does this thing receive commands via RF, then send them via coaxal cable? Or, does the antenna connect to this unit via coaxal?

I'm a little confused on how this is set up with the hardware...can you enlighten me how I would set one up?

Comment

An antenna receives the RF signals. It is attached to the electronics (receiver) by coax. The receiver connects to your computer (and HomeSeer) by serial link (USB or RS232).
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Gotcha, that makes sense. How do you hook up multiple ones then? Just run a very long coaxil cable to where you want the antenna placed?

Comment

Gotcha, that makes sense. How do you hook up multiple ones then? Just run a very long coaxil cable to where you want the antenna placed?
                    Better to run a long serial cable to the location you want to cover. I use one W800 with the antenna mounted in the attic. It covers my 2700sq ft home and my shed which is about 100 feet away.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

Comment

Cool, thanks...I'll have 3 stories with around 3300 sq ft, but nothing really outside that is far away...so I am confident this solution will work. I'll have to mount mine in the basement, but I'll play around with the placement. Thanks for all the info, if I have more questions, I'll get back to ya!

Comment

Cool, thanks...I'll have 3 stories with around 3300 sq ft, but nothing really outside that is far away...so I am confident this solution will work. I'll have to mount mine in the basement, but I'll play around with the placement. Thanks for all the info, if I have more questions, I'll get back to ya!
                        You may need 2 receivers if you are mounting the antenna low. These types of antennas work much better mounted above the sensors they are monitoring. I would also suggest looking at the RFXCom site again for one reason. They sell a dual RF receiver and this allows you to not only add US X10 RF devices but also many many more devices like inexpensive Oregon Scientific temp and humidity sensors, as well as scales, meat thermometers, rain gages, solar sensors, etc. The humidity sensors are an excellent way to control your bathroom fans for humidity control.
                        -Rupp
                        sigpic

Comment

What specific one are you referring to? And, what all would I need to buy from that site and everywhere else to make it work with HS? Lastly, how much do they cost? I see it is in non-US currency it appears.

Comment

Working...
                          X