Couple quick questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple quick questions

1) Do dimmer switches work on ceiling fans? Does the dim speed / slow down the fan?
    2) Are there in wall light switches out there that simply turn on / off? Meaning, I don't need a dimmer functionality?
    3) Will a dimmer switch control a bathroom vent?
    4) Is there a rocker docorative switch that is on / off only?
    5) Is there a switch that is simply off / on with no dimming?

You shouldn't use a dimmer with a ceiling fan, you have the possibility of burning out one or the other or both.

Use Relay switches where you don't want dimming, just off/on, such as fans, fluorescent lighting, CFL's etc.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Sweet, relay switches is what I'll look for then.

I bought some dimming fluorescent lightbulbs in hopes they would work to dim, they just don't worth a crap.

Side question, for rope lighting (that is led), I pretty much have to get an on / off appliance module then, right?

Comment

It depends on the lighting, I've seen both configurations, both LED and incandesant. You will need to check the label to see which type they are and if they are dimmable or not. Some LED rope lighting says they are dimmable, I have not tried them yet so I can't say for sure.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they are not dimmable as I hooked them up to a dimmer lamp module...they would do two dim's...about 60% and about 20%...they wouldn't even turn off

Comment

There are fan specific dimmer modules...which can "dim" the fan speed. I have one for sale.

Wow, this one is cheaper then the one I am selling, but it's a different brand:
            http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/X10-XPDI3

These is the one that I have for sale:
            http://www.automatedoutlet.com/CCWHISPLC-W

Still up there in price, but a higher quality product (and if the "All lights on" signal is passed, I think mine can be programmed to ignore it...where the first link processes it).

The one I'm selling is used by a few users here (Rupp being one of them).

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Dan,
              What color is your fan control switch and where is it for sale?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

I haven't posted it in a while, but last time you asked me, I think the conclusion was you needed manilla, and I had white.

--Dan
                Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                X