Looking For Inexpensive Whole House HomeSeer Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For Inexpensive Whole House HomeSeer Announcements

I have used HomeSeer for over 10 years, but have never used it for announcements. I was thinking about purchasing the following equipment to allow me to use HomeSeer for announcements:

- Pyle Home PCA1 Mini 2 x 15-Watt Stereo Power Amplifier (about $29 at Amazon).
    - Existing PC stereo sound card connected to amp.
    - 1 Elk Compact Echo Speaker installed in common area (about $15 each on ebay).
    - Use existing HS voices purchased several years ago. Hopefully they are compatible with Windows 7 64 bit.

Thoughts?

I would also be interested in how others connect their HomeSeer system to speakers in their house.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

This should work just fine. I use my on board audio out to an older Sony 2 channel amp that is connected to a Niles 8 channel impedance matching speaker selector and various speakers mounted in the walls within the house and a set of speakers on the deck. Works well. All of my speakers are controlled by in wall volume controls so this presents a problem from time to time when the wife turns them all down.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

I use HS announcements extensively. I've gone the other route and placed various grades of PC speakers in walls/ceilings of all rooms with a heater type of grill covering it. I control them with UPB appliance modules cutting the power before and after an announcement.

It's a rare day that these are used for music so inexpensive worked just fine. The master bedroom is the only place I use them for music, as part of my morning routine, so there I used a better grade with sub woofer.

It has all worked out very well for several years now. I would probably have gone a different route if I'd wanted to use them all for music as well but, that's a different system entirely.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I have almost the same setup as Rupp. And the same problem with volume controls. I am looking into some sort of relay (controled through my Elk) for text announcements that bypass the volume control and go direct to the speakers. I read something on one of the boards arround about a voltage sensing relay as well. Hopefully will get to it this summer.

Comment

For many years I used an old RS mini-amplifier. It is still working. For music I would feed my main family room stereo into the house speakers using the AB8SS. IE: for Christmas used main home stereo to pipe music thruout house. I did install the same kind of speakers thruout the home except for the basement, garage and family room. (Pyle in wall speakers). I have AB switches in the kids rooms (for local stereo), office, living room, dining room, kitchen and in the master bedroom/bathroom. In the old home (early days of HS) used whatever speakers I could find (think I used automobile type speakers with white spray painted covers) and had 4 of them installed where I could hear them thruout the house (at the time my TTS was coming mostly from the alarm panel and was switched on and off with HS audio).

Recently last year purchased a new amplifier and a couple of more small amps. (small audio amps to test and thought they were a good deal)

Small amps were on sale for about $15 each. I see they are more now:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208112794

Bought this Audiosource amp last year and using it along with the RS amp. You can have two audio sources on and have one automatically switched.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ss_T15_product

The Pyle speakers in the link are similiar to what I have installed thruout the home. I purchased these in bulk therefore discounted some. I also used 16 guage 4/2 wire for all of the speakers. I wired the 16/2's to mud plates and the 16/4's to the media cabinet area. I also wired CAT5 to same said mud plates. I am also currently using old Leviton digital controls in a few rooms.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-5-25-Inch.../dp/B0007LCLHC

These are the volume controls I am using. Actually another "deal" purchased in bulk ....

http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model..._term=48211-VK

In FL installed about 8 pairs of RS in-wall speakers around late 1990's. I regret having purchased these as they are garbage. I have replaced about 3 pairs so far. The ones installed in the Lanai ceiling rusted out (these were indoor/outdoor) and I replaced these about 3 years ago. Did the same wiring as in the MW with 16/2's to mudplates and 16/4's and CAT5 home runned to panel.

I used Russound AB switches for the separate "audio zones".

I am currently redoing all of my audio though...a little bit at a time....
          Last edited by Pete; January 18, 2010, 03:03 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
          HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

If memory serves me right I think Elk used to make a little amp for running a few speakers but I don't know what model it was.

It was supposed to be fine for whole house announcements just using phone wire for the speakers ?

Maybe obsolete now ? Anyone remember it ?
            Neil
            Newmarket Ontario

Comment

Thanks for your input. I believe I am on the right track then. I decided to go with the following "Elk" products. It should provide 2 speakers (one for the basement and one for the main floor).

- 2 ELK Echo Compact 20W Speaker (about $10 each)
              - Elk-800 Compact 10-Watt Audio Amplifier (about $30)
              - Elk 24 Volt power adapter (about $12)

Regards,
              Ultrajones
              Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I use the Elk-800 in one car (a hack but really an update/retrofit) that I updated to BT as a telephone audio amplifier. Its been working well for about 8 years now.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
                HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
                HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

http://www.aareff.com/50mw-stereo.htm

Comment

I use the elk 32ohm speakers (single gang box with grill) with there external amp. I have a speaker in every room/hall and in the two keypads. I share the speakers with the M1 alarm panel and switch the audio from the pc with an elk DPDT relay. Add a couple of rules and an HS event or two and for ~$100 you have have it. And you also get the benifit of the M1 panel anouncements as well - You do have an M1 don't you?

I recently added a second elk amp for there external speaker for out on the deck to hear CID ect. outside. This system works really nice. I started off the way you describe you are, and that also worked great. But when I moved, I wanted to integreate more. The main benefit of using the Elk is that, since the panel has an internal UPS and most likely your HS server doese as well. You can still get anouncements when the power fails.
                    -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by raptorsss View Post
                      I have almost the same setup as Rupp. And the same problem with volume controls. I am looking into some sort of relay (controled through my Elk) for text announcements that bypass the volume control and go direct to the speakers. I read something on one of the boards arround about a voltage sensing relay as well. Hopefully will get to it this summer.
                      I also use the same setup as Rupp except I have a 6 channel Niles Box. I use an old Sony stereo receiver as the amp. I have relays on 3 of the channel putputs from the Niles box. (Radio Shack 275-217 DPDT relay) I switch the relays ON/OFF with x10 appliance modules. I use the computer sound card as the audio input source. I use internet radio, iTunes, and Homeseer speaker client for audio. I leave the Sony amp at the same volume level but I can change it via IR commands from Homeseer. Normally, I play low volume background music in 3 rooms all day long. So 3 rooms are always ON the other 3 rooms are controlled by the relays. Announcements are made to all 6 rooms by first muting the radio or iTunes then switching on the 3 relays, adjusting the volume if necessary, speaking the Homeseer announcement, then returning to the pre announcement state.

This has been working extremely well now for 2 years.

Steve Q
                      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
                      X