Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jasv
    replied
    Yes it is a pan/tilt camera. I used Self-Amalgamating "Cold Shrink" Weatherproof Tape. If you search for it on e-bay or on the web you will find suppliers. Sometimes outdoor camera's come with a 8-10 inch strip.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Originally posted by jasv View Post
    I have an IP camera that is about 30 feet away from my house and about 30 20 feet up in a tree. It is was lot easier to run one 75 foot cat 5 cable through a pipe and up a tree. So the POE route was a huge benefit.
    This is exactly what I want to do with these adapters. Are you using a pan and tilt camera or stationary? How did you water proof the PoE adapters?

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    That and being able to plug in a device like an AP only using CAT5E.

1 - commercially - long time ago - did a number of airports - (major hubs) - installations based on RF footprint more than available nearby power and aesthetically pleasing. Last few endeavors even hid AP so just a small antenna knob is showing. Management of said device became totally a totally network based endeavor with POE switches. Next time you go to an airport, look up at the ceilings and walls. Two networks existed - private and public. Private served tablets, touch screen kiosks, check in terminals etc. (a roll about terminal was developed - major endeavor - multi transport capable - the object was to put these in hotels, car rental agencies, etc - haven't been to LAS in a while but involved in early development and distribution of kiosks (the whole city - another "fun" endeavor). Involved in utilizing cams after 911 discretly.
    2 - at home - WAF is a big one. I have an Access point in the attic with only a CAT5E cable attached (with POE). 4 out of 8 cameras now are using combo video/power baluns. Works much better than RG6/power cables.

Standards have evolved over the years. The premise is the same. I did a flight attendents training center (4 story building) a few years ago. It was kind of a combo learning / dormitory facility with mostly brick walls. We "saturated" the facility with AP's and used POE for every AP. It involved a major infrastructure update with POE switches / power supplies. The purpose was to provide training materials on a 24/7 day schedule. Just AP's no cams. It worked well. I had fun.
    Last edited by Pete; January 28, 2010, 06:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jasv
    replied
    Originally posted by Czechmarty View Post
    Well, I kind of knew that...
    The question was why can't you just use the adapter by the device?(extension cord is still cheaper if there is no outlet nearby...)
    I have an IP camera that is about 30 feet away from my house and about 20 feet up in a tree. It is was lot easier to run one 75 foot cat 5 cable through a pipe and up a tree. So the POE route was a huge benefit.
    Last edited by jasv; January 27, 2010, 12:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nightwalker
    replied
    Originally posted by Czechmarty View Post
    The question was why can't you just use the adapter by the device?(extension cord is still cheaper if there is no outlet nearby...)
    WAF here drops like a rock with wall warts plugged in all over. I don't use POE here but I do have a whole 12vdc system in the house that takes the place of all those wall warts, frees up outlets, and keeps the wife happy.

Leave a comment:

• Czechmarty
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete View Post
    POE is used to bring power to a device over CAT5. You don't need to use a wall wart at the device end.

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    POE is used to bring power to a device over CAT5. You don't need to use a wall wart at the device end.

Relating to bad capacitors - yes I've seen a lot lately. The Linksys WRT-54GL is about 3-4 years old. The MB's I've had issue with were all of the same MFG. Percentage wise I have more older MB's that have been on 24/7 that are doing well.

Leave a comment:

• Czechmarty
    replied
    Can you guys tell me what you use them for?
    What is wrong with plugging adapter into a wall socket?

Leave a comment:

• drozwood90
    replied
    Boy, I'm not plugging anything in at your house...you have caps going bad left and right!

Leave a comment:

• Pete
    replied
    An FYI - I have both the above mentioned POE adapter and the Linksys POE adapter (in addition to a Cisco POE adapter). Sometime in the last couple of weeks my Linksys WRT54GL went out. (this was one of three AP's) When checking the D-Link POE adapter which I had been using with the Linksys noticed that the egress end (AP side) adapter was partially melted. Maybe this is normal. I took apart the AP and noticed that it had a couple of bad caps. The bad caps I believe were just because of the caps used. I haven't taken apart the D-Link yet. Its been in place now for about a year to 1.5 years. Think I am going to start tagging stuff with dates of installation.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; January 27, 2010, 01:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gmitch64
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    Dont know if this is a good deal or not, but just in case...
    http://www.buy.com/prod/d-link-power...tml?adid=17653
    Given that sales are up 49,700% since yesterday, I am guessing that it is.

G

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    started a topic Power Over Ethernet Adapter

Power Over Ethernet Adapter

Dont know if this is a good deal or not, but just in case...
    http://www.buy.com/prod/d-link-power...tml?adid=17653
Working...
X