How To Monitor Washer/Dryer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Monitor Washer/Dryer?

I'm looking for a way to monitor my washer and dryer in my new home. I ran two Cat5 cables to the back of where they will go, but I'm not sure how I will utilize them. My knowledge of electricity is that when I flip the switch, the light comes on... unfortunately that's it.

I've read all the various threads of how people are currently doing it, but I can't see how it would work in my case so I must be missing something.

I have a new Whirlpool Duet front load washer/dryer combo. I'm not interested in splicing into the power cable to monitor with the magnet. Although, I guess if I could find a two wire extension cord, I could go that route with the washer. I see something like the thread on the Current Sensor/DS10 combo might be a clean solution for that.

The dryer which is obviously the more important one to determine when it is done, has a single, very thick cord, with a large non standard plug. I don't see any way to splice it or get an extension for it. How are you all doing that?

It's all digital, so there is no option to attach a magnet to the dial, since it doesn't move. I suppose I could do some type of vibration sensor, but that wouldn't distinguish between the washer and the dryer, it would just let me know if something is happening in the laundry room.

I need the idiot's version to make this work. If I can make this happen very soon after moving into our new house, the WAF will be sky high and allow me lots of latitude to implement all the other cool things I've been wanting to do when I finally get a house.

If you post a pic of the connector I guarantee someone across the world on here will know what it is , I think the only way to monitor a dryer would be a current sensor...I can't think of any other way (apart from taking it to bits) to do it. For the washing machine I would say the same...I have just been thinking about monitoring my own machine, apart from a flow switch/meter (which will not be entirely accurate of when it finishes, would be nice to know how much water it uses though) I can't think of being able to do it either.

You can drop the DS10 though, I believe the output of the CRMagnet is a relay output so you can wire it to two wires from the CAT5, back to your PC or I/O board and then into HS for monitoring - very simple to wire up.

Comment

If you had bought the LG steam duet instead you would have been done already as it comes with the monitor

I have been monitoring my washer and dryer from the panel's current meter. The washer does not seem to use AC all the time, while the dryer is on with varying power. You'll need quite accurate current meter to detect the washer working. You may consider TED-like device and install it in your panel to monitor power on the washer and dryer circuits.

Comment

Does a light on the front turn on (or off) when the applicance is finished?
        --------------------------------------------------
        **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Originally posted by picta View Post
          The washer does not seem to use AC all the time, while the dryer is on with varying power. You'll need quite accurate current meter to detect the washer working. You may consider TED-like device and install it in your panel to monitor power on the washer and dryer circuits.
          No offense, but that's overspending a little bit to simply monitor the washer and dryer.

I use split core current sensors that snap around the power wires of both the washer and dryer inside the rear of the unit (no splicing, cutting, etc), which are tied into a DS10 to transmit on/off to HS. The washer draws a very slight amount when it's only filling water in the tub, so you simply wrap the wire around the current sensor a couple times and it should detect the current just fine. You should have enough clearance inside of your machines to fit the sensors, which keeps everything nice and normal on the front side. I swiped the idea from the fine folks here and at the cocoon tech forums... there's a how-to somewhere (CT, I think), that will walk you through it if you need the help.

I personally use DS10s because I didn't feel like fishing wire into yet another room, but as long as you tie the cat5 into a contact closure on the HS end of the wire, you'll be fine. Quick, cheap(er), and works great.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
            ditto
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

My washer and dryer both have dials that spin...I have DS10a's hooked to the dials, and to the doors.

This way when the dial trips to alarm, the associated machine is running.

When it goes normal, the machine is done. There is a bit more logic on the washer, as it has a few stop points...

Anyway, after the machine is "done" then if you open a door, for longer then 1 minute (just in case you open it to grab a sock or two), it will change to emptied.

If it's not emptied, every 30 min. we get a reminder on the Audreys. While not emptied the Audrey alert lights flash.

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
                There is a LED display that counts down the minutes remaining and beeps three times when it is done. Although the location would be difficult, I thought about pointing a webcam at the display for each one, and grabbing an image, and using some OCR method to count it down. Not even sure I could make that work and there isn't an easy way to mount a pair of cameras to see them.

Next time my wife uses them, I'll have to see what the exact light sequence on it is.

Sacarino - so this would involve removing the back and attaching something to the power cord inside the unit? Is there anything that would work by wrapping something around the cord on the outside without actually splicing/slicing it?

Comment

I am afraid you have to wrap only one of the power lines through the current sensor to make those work. I used a short heavy duty extension cord to cut into for my washer and dryer. My washer actually stops now and then so I use a timer script that gets past these pauses. The dryer works fine.

For me since I have an Elk I use a NX-650 which has a very long battery life. I hate dealing with the DS10a changing numbers each time the battery dies. Just my preference.
                  John

Comment

Instead of a video camera, how about a microphone placed near the "buzzer". You should be able to use the sound to trigger a Homeseer event. Not sure exactly how but I know that some security cameras are sound activated. Maybe there is an "off the shelf" solution.

Steve Q
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

How about a magnet stuck to the drum and mounting a micro switch close by not sure if the drum turns to fast to trigger the switch or maybe a vibration detector if it exists. Could use hardwire, DS10a or HRDS1

Comment

How about those vibration sensors over at phidgets

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php...roduct_id=1104

I saw there is now a plugin for this.
                        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorEye View Post
                          There is a LED display that counts down the minutes remaining and beeps three times when it is done.

Next time my wife uses them, I'll have to see what the exact light sequence on it is.
                          You might want to give this How-To from CocoonTech a look, though if it's "just" and LED counting down I'm not sure if it will work for you.
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                            Instead of a video camera, how about a microphone placed near the "buzzer". You should be able to use the sound to trigger a Homeseer event. Not sure exactly how but I know that some security cameras are sound activated. Maybe there is an "off the shelf" solution.

Steve Q
                            i have an app the generates xPL messages in response to noise picked up on a mic http://bit.ly/7g9IOr

Comment

I've been wondering the best way to do this also.. and im going to use the photoresistor idea from cocoontech.. Since my washer and dryer both have LED lights that light up when they are done.. It should be really easy for me.. My Homeseer "Closet" is the next room over in my basement so ill just run a 22/4 wire.. hook it to my SECU16.. And im all set

Thanks guys!

-Tom-
                              -Tom-

Comment

Working...
                              X