• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heatvent
    replied
    This may be helpful...

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Home...ix-W17C44.aspx

I would probably call HST sales and ask them some of your questions.

Leave a comment:

• heatvent
    replied
    Sorry, I don't know enough about zwave and would probably just answer your questions wrong if I tried.

Leave a comment:

• bdee1
    replied
    that makes sense. so i am thinking of trying to get a couple basic z-wave devices to try. so with that said - what do i need to get to interface homeseer with z-wave? do i get the Z-stick like the one seen here:
    http://store.homeseer.com/store/Z-Wa...-P783C120.aspx

or is there a better one to get?

also - i have seen mention in forums here and there that you can get z-wave devices at local stores like home depot and lowes. i have also heard it mentioned that Lutron makes z-wave devices. I have seen lutron stuff at lowes and home depot before but didnt realize they were z-wave. how can I tell? does it say z-wave somewhere on it? or am i completely mistaken here?

Leave a comment:

• heatvent
    replied
    If I could do it all over again, I would probably give some consideration to Z-Wave. The big plus is HomeSeer's support is much better as far as I can tell. Also the HSM100 is a pretty nice device. Don't get me wrong, I am a very happy Insteon user. Insteon is a quality product for a reasonable price. I came from X10, so at the time, moving up to Insteon was a lot of $$ to me but ultimately worth the investment. My dissatisfaction is more or less HomeSeer's support for Insteon which stems probably from Insteon's lack of giving support to developers on a fairly complicated protocol.

The Z-wave users seem to be happy as well and I think they have a lot of good products with excellent 3rd party product support (Schlage and other big name companies have produced products with Z-wave technology rather than having to go almost 100% through Smartlabs for Insteon). Z-wave does tend to be like 30%+ more than Insteon so you have to consider that as well.

I would probably make a list of everything I would want to buy and cost it out. From that list you can see the holes in each of the two products to fit your needs as well. If they both fit the bill and/or money becomes a non-factor, order a z-wave device or two and try them out. It may be worth the money just to get piece of mind that you went the right direction. See how it works with HomeSeer, quality, responsiveness, ease of setup, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Your not going to get a lot of love for either of these protocols on the Cocoontech message board. Those guys are nearly all UPB users and a couple of prominent posters were burnt by being an early Insteon adopters. I'm not knocking UPB, it's an excellent protocol for lighting but the variety of devices are simply not there.

Leave a comment:

• kaldoon
    replied
    I have roughly 60 devices in my house all Z-Wave. Reliablity has been very good - running ACT, HomeSettings, Intouch, Leviton Vizia RF and RF+ for lighting control. Using RCS and Intouch thermostats - have different motion sensors from different manufacturers and it all works very well together

Leave a comment:

• bdee1
    replied
    hmm interesting - theres a decent variety but it looks like one of the big missing items is the keypad controller and the IRlinc device.

whats the verdict on reliability of z-wave vs insteon?

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    The HomeSeer store carries a wide varity of Z-Wave devices from Z-Wave enabled door locks to motions sensors, to thermostats, etc...
    http://store.homeseer.com/store/Z-Wave-C52.aspx

Leave a comment:

• bdee1
    replied
    yea i keep hearing about those but never have tried them. i guess my biggest concern there woudl be if they have the same variety of devices that insteon does.

i love the insteon keypadlincs, and I like the insteon IR Linc, and the insteon wireless motion sensors... that sort of thing.

also, obviously smarthome is the place to go for insteon stuff - where can i go to browse the complete line of available zwave or upb devices?

and i'm curious - what are the advantages of z-wave and upb over insteon in your mind? i dont know a lot about them so i would love to learn more.

Leave a comment:

• drozwood90
    replied
    I'd personally switch to Z-wave for UPB...

Leave a comment:

• bdee1
    replied
    ok gotcha - thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    I would recommend posting this question in the Insteon forum. Mark has taken over the Insteon plugin and made tremendous strides with this plugin. The issue here is I'm not sure if the plugin works with the dual band PLM.

Leave a comment:

• bdee1
    replied
    well yes and no - it says that if you have a couple dual band devices (lamplincs or something) then they double as access points. so you still need something to bridge the phases, but if you have a couple dual band lamplincs - you don't need dedicated access points - that's how i understand it...

so is that device i linked to, the correct device to interface insteon with homeseer?

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Originally posted by bdee1 View Post
    I recently moved into a new house and left a lot of my old Insteon gear installed in the old house. so i am starting over fresh at the new place. I was just looking at the smarthome site and saw that things have changed a bit with insteon - they now have dual band devices, eliminatign the need for the access points.

has anyone had any experience with these? are they nice and reliable with homeseer?

Which PC interface do i use to connect it to homeseer? is it this one?
    http://www.smarthome.com/2413U/Power...al-Band/p.aspx
    Are you sure you no longer need the access points. I though the rf access points were required to receive the RF signal.

Leave a comment:

• bdee1
    started a topic new house - advice?

new house - advice?

I recently moved into a new house and left a lot of my old Insteon gear installed in the old house. so i am starting over fresh at the new place. I was just looking at the smarthome site and saw that things have changed a bit with insteon - they now have dual band devices, eliminatign the need for the access points.

has anyone had any experience with these? are they nice and reliable with homeseer?

Which PC interface do i use to connect it to homeseer? is it this one?
    http://www.smarthome.com/2413U/Power...al-Band/p.aspx
Working...
X