X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
    This may be helpful...

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Home...ix-W17C44.aspx

I would probably call HST sales and ask them some of your questions.
    that is helpful - thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bdee1 View Post
      also - i have seen mention in forums here and there that you can get z-wave devices at local stores like home depot and lowes. i have also heard it mentioned that Lutron makes z-wave devices. I have seen lutron stuff at lowes and home depot before but didnt realize they were z-wave. how can I tell? does it say z-wave somewhere on it? or am i completely mistaken here?
      can anyone else chime in on this part?

Comment

Have never seen Z-Wave at Home Depot OR Lowes. Not that I look for them there but thought I would have noticed whilst browsing the switch isle..?

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
          Have never seen Z-Wave at Home Depot OR Lowes. Not that I look for them there but thought I would have noticed whilst browsing the switch isle..?
          ok thats what thought too - i guess i was misinformed - or misunderstood the forum posts that said that. thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Radio Shack as well as some Home Depots and Lowes carries a mixture of Z-Wave devices. HomeSeer is your best bet for though.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

is there any chance you could provide a link to a zwave product on home depots website? i tried searching and didn't find anything?

Comment

Personally I have not seen any Z-Wave at Home Depot, Lowes or Menards. The ones nearby have small sections relating to low voltage wiring. I've looked too.

I believe that RS is starting to carry Z-Wave "stuff" but RS would be my last choice unless it became a critical decision relating to a "need it now" scenario.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I guess, to quote one of Rupp's montras...

I'd do a mix. I think that if you had a well setup Z-Wave, that's probably all you need.

To get something like the keypad link, there are a TON of UPB style switches...

I can't say for Z-Wave...BUT Rupp is right, There are MORE Z-wave "stuff" then UPB "stuff".

UPB is mostly switches...but they have "keypadlinc" type of stuff. SAI brand has changeable faceplates...so you can change the faceplate then chang ethe way they interact with the faceplate.

Simply Automated:
                  http://www.simply-automated.com/products/index.html
                  HAI:
                  http://www.automatedoutlet.com/s.nl/...27/ctype.SS/.f

And you have many links already for Z-Wave.

I think you probably want to have a combination of UPB and Z-Wave. Since Z-Wave is wireless, it can have cool sensors and door controllers, and other things. UPB is hard wired (I like that aspect of it...for reliability). Again, not that Z-Wave isn't reliable, but I just don't like wireless stuff. I'm acutally going to be in the process of eliminating most of my DS10As to change over to hardwired.

I think there is a place for each technology. Maybe the best way, if you like the "feel" of the keypadlinks, is to get those to control UPB switches / Z-Wave switches.

I do know one thing that's important. Z-Wave is based on nodes. The more you have, the better your network behaves. UPB is like X10 on steroids. You can just add them, so long as they are on your houses's power, you can talk to it. However, Z-wave has neat things that UPB does not (motion sensors, temperature, humidity, etc.).

I've been tempted to get some Z-Wave for my house, just to get control over my door locks.

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Personally I have not seen any Z-Wave at Home Depot, Lowes or Menards. The ones nearby have small sections relating to low voltage wiring. I've looked too.

In FL needed a couple of locks and went into the local Home Depot (Bradenton) and didn't see any new Z-Wave locks there. (looked for them)

I believe that RS is starting to carry Z-Wave "stuff" but RS would be my last choice unless it became a critical decision relating to a "need it now" scenario.

I was in a local RS a couple of weeks back (looking for caps) and didn't notice Z-Wave at the store - but didn't reallly look.

You could just buy a startup package from HS.

or to EHX 2010 in Orlando and get to see it all....
                    Last edited by Pete; February 1, 2010, 05:33 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I was just looking @ RS on the web and they sell some "GE" brand switches - but they look sort of an "ACT" switch that HomeSeer sells for less $.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        Your not going to get a lot of love for either of these protocols on the Cocoontech message board. Those guys are nearly all UPB users
                        Rupp,

I think there is a good number of Z-Wave users on Cocoontech...but, probably not as many as here.

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

I'm not knocking UPB, it's an excellent protocol for lighting but the variety of devices are simply not there.
                        Thanks! That and that both can be reliable, Z-Wave and UPB have their faults. I think that there probably is just as many types of switches UPB / Z-wave...but UPB is more designed for a larger install. Higher power, scene based (like the Keypad link...with separate LEDs on each "keypad-linc" button) control. Z-Wave doesn't have a UMI-32...but then again UPB doesn't have 1/4 of the stuff listed in the Homeseer store. BUT if you need a high power switch (up to 2400W!!)...UPB it is...

Which is why I think something you used to tout...is still applicable...use a blend of all. That's the power of Homeseer. It can do anything will all protocols. So, use them all for the best of each. UPB can't sense humidity...but Z-Wave can. Z-wave can operate with only two wire...UPB can not.

UPB can handle larger loads then Z-Wave. UPB does not need a support network (the Z-wave mesh networking)...so maybe most switches around the Z-wave stick are Z-wave, but the ones out in the garage are UPB.

I also like that there is a lot of neat things you can program into UPB switches (Z-wave might also have this...but I don't have any Z-Wave). For instance, if my controller is down (Homeseer Server), my 3 and 4 way switches still act the same. The switches all talk to each other. The lights in my Baby's room still only come on at 30%...with a double tap they go to full on. With the controller, when the baby is not sleeping, if you single tap, the light goes to 30%, but Homeseer knows the baby is not asleep, so it overrides that and goes to 100%.

The biggest thing is ask. People like Rupp, myself and others are experienced and can help guide you to a good solution. I don't think there is a one size fits all, but with Homeseer, we can utilize all the different types of devices to blend them into the best solution!

Here's your keypadlinc type thing http://www.homeauto.com/Products/HLC...ontrollers.asp

Wow...here's one that does 3HP at 240VAC Output: 30A @ 120 / 240 VAC, 1HP @ 120 VAC, 3 HP @ 240 VAC

Search "71A00-1 " on http://www.homeauto.com/Products/HLC/Hlc.asp

--Dan
                        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                          ... Which is why I think something you used to tout...is still applicable...use a blend of all. That's the power of Homeseer. It can do anything will all protocols. So, use them all for the best of each.
                          --Dan
                          I'm still touting it. There are just 2 threads going on the same issue.
                          http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=140137
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

For me it's still Insteon and will continue to be. With over 50 Insteon devices, my system is rock solid. Add in the drastically improved Insteon plug-in (thanks Mark!) and Insteon with HomeSeer has come a LONG way.

With the new Link Management built into the plug-in, no more running around linking devices. Do it all from your computer chair or couch!

Another huge plus already mentioned in other posts: You just can't beat the array of devices Insteon has to offer. Period!

My one wish is that Smarthome would allow other manufactures/vendors into the game. Would be nice to have a 'local' place to go to and pick stuff up.
                            Bryan
                            Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
                            Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

I looked at the ZWave swithces and went to a Leviton demo on them. I wasn't impressed with the switches. I like the top on bottom off of the Insteon switches. I did have 2 switches go bad a couple years ago, but Smarthome replaced them with no problem. Smarthome tech support has been above average and my system with 20 devices has been rock solid.
                              Dave

Comment

Just curious, is it wise to have a small install of z-wave? I get the impression if you are going to do z-wave, better off going 100% so you have a strong network. Same probably goes for Insteon, the more the better the reliability. Also, if you mix and match, not sure how the keypadlinc's integrate. I would think you need HS to translate between protocols so that will take extra time and will also mean HS MUST be up and running to work.

I would go one way or the other. Didn't realize Zwave doesn't have a keypadlinc like device. That could be a dealbreaker for me. I really like the keypadlinc. It not only gives you control over up to 8 devices, it looks good and also lets you know the status of 8 devices. That's a lot more than your average switch can do.

Comment

Working...
                                X