WHA Basics -- wiring, setup, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHA Basics -- wiring, setup, etc?

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed here, mostly because I'm quite uneducated in the electronics department. Completelyhis has been a fantastic help through my whole endeavor, but I don't want him to go insane with all my questions, so I've decided to share the wealth

I am going to be buying 4 or 6 in-wall speakers, which I will use for both WHA (music, as well as HS announcements) and intercom (russound compoint, maybe... that's a separate question). I am going to wire them all from my media closet. I will have 4 or 6 USB 'sound cards' to control them all separately, which will be connected to my server which is also in my media closet.

Do I need a ab8ss as well? How does the wiring look with that, if so, in relation to the usb sound cards?

Is there anything else I need? Which HS plugin(s) will I need? Does HS have the ability to (efficiently) handle the music distribution, or will I need to have a separate system for that? If so, how would muting during an announcement be handled?

Are there any 'gotchas' I should be aware of?

I really appreciate any insight you can give, I plan to be implementing this within a month.

Not a stalker, and hate to hog all the attention, but I just thought I'd chime in, cuz i happened to see this. see my answers in bold below:

Originally posted by validatorian View Post
    I'm getting a bit overwhelmed here, mostly because I'm quite uneducated in the electronics department. Completelyhis has been a fantastic help through my whole endeavor, but I don't want him to go insane with all my questions, so I've decided to share the wealth

I am going to be buying 4 or 6 in-wall speakers, which I will use for both WHA (music, as well as HS announcements) and intercom (russound compoint, maybe... that's a separate question). I am going to wire them all from my media closet. I will have 4 or 6 USB 'sound cards' to control them all separately, which will be connected to my server which is also in my media closet.

Do I need a ab8ss as well? How does the wiring look with that, if so, in relation to the usb sound cards?

No, you don't need an ab8ss, which is a good thing, cuz they are hard to come by these days. What you do need is an amp for them. I'd recommend those little T-amp's that I showed you that were stuck on the wall in my batcave, they work great, take up very little space, and don't use a lot of juice. I have an extra one or two i could send down with those keystones, if you want to try them to see how you like them.

basically, each speaker needs to be amplified, and going w/ the usb sound cards, you most likely need to amplify each zone independantly.

Is there anything else I need? Which HS plugin(s) will I need? Does HS have the ability to (efficiently) handle the music distribution, or will I need to have a separate system for that? If so, how would muting during an announcement be handled?

no HS plugins to control the sound, only to control the media (Jriver or winamp is what I'd recommend, because it can support multiple zones). HS will control the volume up/down of each zone as devices.

Are there any 'gotchas' I should be aware of?

I really appreciate any insight you can give, I plan to be implementing this within a month.
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

no HS plugins to control the sound, only to control the media
      Can you explain the difference between sound and media?

Let's say I have music playing on all 4 zones, and HS wants to make an announcement -- while HS has the ability to mute the speakers, I need it to be able to mute the music, then play the announcement, then unmute. The Russound Compoint does this by cutting the connection to the speakers and using its own (from what I understand) so that's electrically-controlled. As I'm just dealing with software here, I'm not sure how it's possible, unless HS is controlling the music as well.

Comment

you nailed it, hs controlls the music as well.

this is a good time to mention that going with the usb sound card options makes it more complicated to incorporate a source external to the computer (ie, radio, cd player).

In the example you describe, HS will be able to mute/pause the music, make the announcement, and then restore the sound.

Ian
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Thanks, as always! More questions are bound to be forthcoming!

Comment

Working...
          X