No announcement yet.

Trigger event based status change of a number of devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No motion for x minutes could be that there is nobody home or it could mean that everyone is in bed asleep. Unless you have bed occupancy sensors, a device that you set manually to asleep mode or use the armed home status of an alarm panel to force the occupied state, then you have problems with detecting occupancy.

I did think about bed sensors, but I feared that they may be a step too far for the WAF, so I implemented the system I described which works 99% of the time.

Paul..

Comment

Actually my information above is WRONG LOL,

BLOccupied is a plugin to make it LOOK like the house is occupied, blradar has the occupancy thing in it...

Its funny really I have been using them for years and never really look at them now... I couldnt even remember how to get at the config page for 10 minutes LOL.... they just work

TrOjAn

Comment

Richard, thanks as that's what I've ended up doing for the mean time but it really is a rough work around.

Why do simple things have to get so complicated?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Comment

Although I understand your frustration, and that it has more to do with event triggering than occupancy, it does also speak to another, more philosophical issue. The determination of occupancy: Is the room, building, etc. occupied or not? Seems simple, but in fact, is very difficult for a computer to determine.

There are at least three very sophisticated HS plug-ins that address this issue, each with a following, I'm sure, but no outright winner. There are also countless scripts created by people like you and me that try to accomplish this seeming simple task. All with limited success as well. If home automation has a holy grail, occupancy determination is it!
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

manxam, it may not hurt to put your request in the HS3 feature request thread. I think what you are asking for is a many-to-many relationship between triggers and actions instead of the one-to-many relationship today. I know I would be interested in this. It would make events much more useful and would reduce the number of events/redundancy needed to do a single task with multiple triggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
              There are at least three very sophisticated HS plug-ins that address this issue, each with a following, I'm sure, but no outright winner.
              I know of doomotion and BLRadar. What's the third? Are you referring to the bluetooth plugin?

Comment

The third one I was thinking of is mcsMovement.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                X