Structured Wiring Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Structured Wiring Recommendations

I am currently looking at doing some renovations so want to take the opportunity to run new structured wiring to all the rooms. So I wanted to get some thoughts/recommendations on what wires to run to a room (assuming I run the same bundle type to each room).

So the two main questions I have are:
    • What functionality should I keep in mind for each room?
    • What cable medium should I used to run the signals on (i.e. HDMI over two CAT6 cables, or a fiber line, etc)?

Some functionality that come to mind:
    Incoming: HDMI Video, Cable TV Signal, Xbox/Console Internet, Internet, Phone
    Outgoing: IR Relay, HDMI Video

Thanks!

i went through this when I was finishing my basement. I decided, like you suggested, to go with multiple cat6, knowing that whatever connections i want in the future, it's likely i'll be able to use it (hdmi, for example). fiber is too expensive and complicated (esp. terminations). i ran 2 cat 6 (one of them was shielded), a cat5e, and a cat5 to each location. the cat5/e i plan on using for lower def. a/v, or basic data, like w/xbox, or wifi access point, or even to just use the pairs for things like IR emitters and current sensors.

i also ran 4 rg6 coax @ each location. thought their was that i could use 3 for component video, using F-composite connectors, or i could use them to send digital tv antena signal...they are even good for digital audio, again, using the F-composite connector.

the only really future proof thing is conduit, but i feel like with my quads of rg6 & ethernet, i'll be ok for now

:-)
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Interesting, sounds like you went with extra rg6 coax instead of Cat6, for options in the future...

Comment

yeah, i guess there is a sense in which i wanted to diversify, rather than just going all in with cat6.
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

6 or so years ago I did the same with Cat5E and RG-6. All of cable is home run to the basement. I am using most if not all of it today. In addition ran speaker cable (2 pair 16 guage) to a box in each room.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
          HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
          HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X