• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support for the HomeSeer Wiki?

• HomeSeer
      • Product Links
      • Help Documentation

• Automated Lighting
      • Technologies - (Z-wave, Zigbee, etc, with pros/cons)
      • How to install (caveats like neutral wire, how to find max wattage, etc.)

• Whole House Audio
      • Wiring Options
      • Speaker recommendations
      • Supported Plugins
      • How-to Guides (for different plugins/hardware)

• Whole House Video
      • Wiring Options
      • Supported Plugins
      • Interface Options
      • How-To Guides

• PDA Support
      • Options Available

• Plugins
      • Links to the latest downloads
      • Release Notes, etc.

• Community Projects
      • Place were people could collaborate for developing new products/components (like a plugin for a new hardware component, etc.)

VirtualAdam,

Here ya go:
    http://www.homeseer.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

It would be great to leverage the Wiki more, but I think old habbits die hard. Most long-time HS users rely on the forums foremost when sharing information.

Regards,
    Don

Comment

Originally posted by dschoppe View Post
      I was afraid that might be the answer ...So it sounds like HomeSeer will leave it to the community to get it initially populated. Guess I'll have to see if I can get some free time...;>

Comment

I put in a lot of time once on the Z-Wave page, but that is the problem - I can spend a lot of time on the Wiki, the documentation, the message board, my email, ... or I can code fixes and features for HomeSeer - pick any two. We try to keep everything updated, but from the very beginning we were asked to put together the Wiki by the users with the sales job that the community would update it so that we would not have to - they just needed us to create the Wiki, which we did.
        Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Perhaps HomeSeer would be willing to offer an incentive to people to start populating it?

Something like a free upgrade to HomeSeer Pro to the top 5 contributors, etc. I think once it gets going then it will take off on its own...

I could also see it linking back to the message boards for specific discussion threads, etc. So I don't think it would take anything away from forms.

Also if HomeSeer started to use the wiki to publish information such as plugins, manuals, documentation, faq, it may start to generate more traffic there. I think if the info gets spread out in too many places it may get confusing....

Comment

Rick, that is a good write up on Z-Wave. If I had read that I wouldn't have had to ask the question this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by virtualadam View Post
              Perhaps HomeSeer would be willing to offer an incentive to people to start populating it?
              If we could afford to do that, we wouldn't be in a position of needing to have it populated! ;-)

Like I said, it was asked of us to just provide the place, as some users agreed to start seeding it. One of the reasons that this is good is because the Wiki is one place where people might find answers written for the users - sometimes we tend to get down a technical path when we are documenting, so the Wiki is a good place for the end user perspective on things.
              Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
              X