Is there an "acceleration" sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there an "acceleration" sensor?

Lots of motion sensors, but is there a sensor that will operate on movement? I was wanting to attach this to a door. I would think this give great reliability. For some reason, motion sensors aren't that reliable mounted to a door.

Wait, I guess that is what a door sensor is for as well.
    Last edited by ; February 17, 2010, 12:15 AM.

The topic has come up before. You can do a search of the board.
    Also: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=acc...1&_from=&_ipg=
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

It's hard to beat the X10 door and window sensors at ~ $5 -$7 each. X10.com has these on sale every other month or so.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have the regular X10 motion sensors, but was wanting to go to a door sensor for added reliability.

Problem is that the X10 door sensor needs the acrf plugin (no big deal), but also needs addtional hardware that I do have (I have the CM15a).

So I am thinking about doing a Z-wave setup for the the door sensor since I am probably going to add a Z-wave thermostat anyway. I am also hoping the Z-wave motion sensors are more reliable?

If there is an easier way to get the X10 door sensors going though, let me know. I wish they worked off of regular X10 commands.

Comment

Originally posted by aslamma View Post
          I have the regular X10 motion sensors, but was wanting to go to a door sensor for added reliability.

Problem is that the X10 door sensor needs the acrf plugin (no big deal), but also needs addtional hardware that I do have (I have the CM15a).

So I am thinking about doing a Z-wave setup for the the door sensor since I am probably going to add a Z-wave thermostat anyway. I am also hoping the Z-wave motion sensors are more reliable?

If there is an easier way to get the X10 door sensors going though, let me know. I wish they worked off of regular X10 commands.
          I thought the RR501's would pick up the door and window sensors as well but don't quote me on that. I know the RR501 will pick up X10 remotes as well as X10 motion sensors. The only trouble with the RR501's is they put all of the RF traffic onto the powerlines and can cause issues with noise if too many signals are send thus clogging the powerline.

Comment

Maybe, but how does the rr501 tie to HS? It has a USB or com port?

Comment

The RR501 is a plugin RF receiver that receives X10 RF and puts these signals on the powerline as X10 signals that HomeSeer can receive.
              http://www.thex10shop.com/product/0/...le_710304.html

Comment

Oh, didn't know about this. So it goes from there to plc to cm15a to HS to event. Sound right? A long path! Can this unit also emit x10 rf? I do not see that option with just the cm15a installed.

Comment

This device is only a receiver of X10 signals. If your CM15A is your X10 receiver then yes. It's like this. Motion Sensor > RR501 > powerline > X10 powerline controller > HS. Yes it is a bit slow and is much slower than my Sensors > W800 > HomeSeer but slow is a relative term.

Comment

How would you compare this to The z-wave door sensor. Looking for just one solidly reliable door sensor and one reliable motion sensor.

I have the security motion sensor as well but have not used it. Is it more reliable than the other x10 sensors?

Comment

Originally posted by aslamma View Post
                      How would you compare this to The z-wave door sensor. Looking for just one solidly reliable door sensor and one reliable motion sensor.

I have the security motion sensor as well but have not used it. Is it more reliable than the other x10 sensors?
                      The Z-Wave devices are going to be much faster and once you have a good mesh much more reliable in my opinion. You may need more than a couple of devices to have reliable Z-Wave communications though.

Comment

What I am really referring to is the sensor itself. I have a 100% reliable path after the sensor is tripped. But the sensor is about 95%

Comment

Working...
                        X