HomeSeer stopped a thief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer stopped a thief

I just wanted to send kudos to HomeSeer. Last night someone tried to break into a vehicle in my driveway. The motion sensor saw him, HomeSeer announced that someone was in the driveway, turned on the front lights, and scared him away. This is the 2nd time HS has caught a thief before he had a chance to do any damage!

Excellent!!!

Do you have exterior speakers or did he hear the ones inside?
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I only play the audio on the indoor speakers, just to alert me as to what is happening outside. I don't want to annoy the neighbors with alarms every time I pull in the driveway - lol. It was the lights turning on that made him think he'd been seen, and scared him away.

Comment

Cool!

Next: Add a camera!
        HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
        Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
        on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
        WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Is the motion inside the car, or on the garage?
          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I put up cameras this last year, so I have it all on video! (It feels so good to be able to put a face to the crime!) The motion sensors are on the house - so it watches over any car that's parked in the driveway, and it alerts us before someone has a chance to get inside the vehicle. Plus, it's kind enough to turn on the lights for us when we arrive home after dark.

Comment

I like that you have the video too - nice, Nice, NICE! Are you sending it to the police to try to get him/her on the attempted crime?
              Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Are the videos good enough to pick a face up or do you just see a silhoutte walking around outside ?
                Neil
                Newmarket Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by CJVann View Post
                  I put up cameras this last year, so I have it all on video! (It feels so good to be able to put a face to the crime!) The motion sensors are on the house - so it watches over any car that's parked in the driveway, and it alerts us before someone has a chance to get inside the vehicle. Plus, it's kind enough to turn on the lights for us when we arrive home after dark.
                  Post the video, I know that we'll all enjoy seeing how HS has helped!

Comment

+1
                    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Video was "okay" - he was bundled from head-to-toe because of the cold, but you could pretty well make out basic features like sex, nationality, approx age, height & weight, and he has a mustache. It also helps to see he's walking around at 4AM with a backpack, baggy pants that you have to hold up to walk in (for those fast get-aways), and the video showed where he walked, so we got footprints and were able to see 3 other houses he was at.

Since he didn't take anything there wasn't much for the police to do, but we did notify them and let them know we have video and photos of him in case anyone else reports a break-in. I also notified my neighbors, and the neighborhood watch.

Comment

Just curious, what kind of camera are you using?

Comment

This is great news for you - I'm happy to hear it worked out so well.

About a year ago I decided to ramp up the security scripts at my home, and one of the "features" I added was to turn on the front porch light if there is an unwelcome visitor while we were gone. This would be a signal to us not to enter the home. (note: I do have HS sending our phones emails, but I wanted a backup just in case)

Anyway, I was up laaate one night working on this, trying to perfect the script. Each cycle of the test would turn the front porch light on. The next morning I went to my vehicle and found the center console in my vehicle open with the contents sitting on my seat. Nothing was taken - I know it was my testing the scripts that scared the would-be thief away. I'll take dumb luck over no luck any day.

That encouraged me to add some sort of security to my vehicle, but never got around to it. Maybe someday...

Comment

That one is a Clover Day & Night security camera, although I can't say I highly recommend them. I have 2 of those, and the IR went out on both of them within the first year. Fortunately, with lights turning on by motion, it hasn't been that big of a deal.

Comment

Brian - that's hilarous! That had to make you feel great. I like the text message idea, I think I'll add that onto my system as well. As for the vehicle - I've thought about sticking a simple X10 motion sensor in the vehicle to announce if someone enters it, but I've never tried it.

Comment

Working...
                              X