Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nightwalker
    replied
    couldn't you use virtual devices as flags for each of the modes you have, then use those devices being on or off to control what gets done in the events?

Leave a comment:

• mbrett
    replied
    I too have been tinkering with home security..

I have 5 motion sensors and a bunch of door sensors.. I have 4 modes of my security system:
    Home
    Home Armed
    Armed
    Away

the diffrence between armed and away, is away also lowers the heat and or air, and puts the lights into random times of on and off...

My issue is that I am trying to create an elaberate if, then statement that takes into account, the 12 sensors and the security mode it is currently in. I cant figure out how to trigger the event, as it is diffrent based on the mode..

so for instance, home armed should ignore all interior sensors, away and armed should take into account all sensors.. I have played with the BLsecurity plugin, but find it very confusing and dosent meet me total needs.

SOOOOO.. the question is how do I create an event to take all of these things into account?

Leave a comment:

• heatvent
    replied
    I use the X10 security sensors. I think they work great especially for the money. They are a little on the big size but very reliable. I am switching however (over time) to Insteon as they look a little nicer and I have less reception/placement issues. I am in an old house that is not conducive to good wireless everywhere. The Insteon operate at a higher frequency which improves range and I have multiple access points more spread out so it works better. Also like the feature of a dusk sensor. They are however 3x as much as the X10 sensors.

Leave a comment:

• drozwood90
    replied
    I've been switching to security sensors because of the "strangeness" that the cheaper units have.

My long term goal (only one done so far) is to switch everything to hardwired. Have a great sensor for this.

--Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    That sounds right, been a while. I just remember it caused a lot of odd things so I removed them. Thanks for the clarification.

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    Originally posted by aslamma View Post
    Hmmm, OK, maybe I am confused about what you are talking about. My X10 motion sensors have both a motion sensor and a light sensor embedded inside of them. If either is tripped it will send the same command.
    No - I think the X10 sensors send code+1 for light/dark (on/off). This keeps them separate - motion vs. light.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hmmm, OK, maybe I am confused about what you are talking about. My X10 motion sensors have both a motion sensor and a light sensor embedded inside of them. If either is tripped it will send the same command.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Q
    replied
    Originally posted by aslamma View Post
    Oh yeah, as far as those false motion sensor sends, do you WANT to use the light sensor? If you are using the X10 modules, it has a motion AND a light sensor. I had the same problem and a lot of people open the unit up and put a piece of duct tape over the light sensor (wiggly looking circuit on it as I remember). That solved those issues.
    I don't use the light sensor (dusk/dawn sensor). I am referring to light level changes that are sometimes interpretted as motion by the motion sensor. We have a lot of windows and 2 of my motion sensors are tripped when clouds block/unblock the sun. This is of course not a problem at night, I also arm the system in the daytime when we are away.

Steve Q

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Steve, sounds cool. I have been thinking about using the door sensor as well since I would think the sensor unit is about as close to 100% reliable as possible. Need extra hardware though to operate on that frequency.

I like your idea about the motion sensors. Pretty neat and I might give something like a shot. For me though it doesnt really matter since my motion sensor at the door trips all lights on.

Oh yeah, as far as those false motion sensor sends, do you WANT to use the light sensor? If you are using the X10 modules, it has a motion AND a light sensor. I had the same problem and a lot of people open the unit up and put a piece of duct tape over the light sensor (wiggly looking circuit on it as I remember). That solved those issues.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Q
    replied
    I am doing the same thing as you. But I don't use a motion sensor to trigger the "alarm", I use a DS10A door/window sensor (on 3 doors and 1 window). My motion sensors are often triggered by sunlight/lighting changes.

I have a unique way to arm the alarm at night; we have a lamp in the bedroom that comes ON in the evening when motion is detected in the hallway after 9PM. When we go to bed we manually send an x10 command (via a palm pad) to turn off the light. This command also arms the "home" alarm mode. This approach makes it almost impossible to forget to arm the alarm. In the morning, I use the bathroom motion sensor to disarm the alarm.

This approach has worked very well for the past year.

Steve Q

Leave a comment:

• heatvent
    replied
    Check out Blade's BLSecurity. Can do what you say plus a lot more. Works with X10 security remotes as well for arming/disarming.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Hack security system

Hack security system

So what do you think about this? I don't have any real scurity issues but for fun I set something up. I only have a single point of entry. I just have a motion sensor that trips an audio response through the home speakers, sends me a text message, and flashes the lights on and off.

I have certain times set to be automatic and can also manually arm it via hstouch. I can also have it send a text to a neighbor or other as well. Anything more seems like a waste. I don't really have anything to steal anyway so I'm not worried. But more thinking about fun/future solutions.

I would think this is quite good cause no way to locally disarm. The text is already sent. I can then decide what to do about it. Just liking to hear thoughts about this. Like I said it's half security half tinkering so I am not trying to build a fort Knox.
Working...
X