Need advice on home security and Homeseer integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on home security and Homeseer integration

A friend of mine would like to make use of the door and window contacts from an old security system in the new house he just bought. They are all pre-wired and running to a closet.

What hardware would I need to be able to monitor these relays and sound a siren and what not using homeseer?

Will the ocelot and secu-16 do this?

What is the Model and Manufacturer of the panel. It is possible that a plugin already exists for the panel.
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Pretty sure there isn't one. It's a Brinks bhs3000c

Comment

So can I use an ocelot and secu-16 to do this? What if I need more than 8 supervised inputs, can you plug another secu-16 into the ocelot or only one?

Comment

Could use wireless...

You could hook each door/window sensor wires to a DS-10 wireless door/window sensor, then purchase a wireless receiver such as RFXCom, and use a plug-in to get the statuses into homeseer.

May be a little more money to start with, but then you open the possibilities of using X-10 motion sensors to turn on/off lights based on motion, and eventually add other sensors, such as temperature, humidity, baro pressure, wind speed and direction, rain, home power, (even weight!) etc.

If you decide to do this, read up to make sure you get the right receiver for your needs. There are a LOT of helpful people here who can help you, of course.

Good Luck,

Gayle Snedecor

Comment

Originally posted by joegrace13 View Post
            So can I use an ocelot and secu-16 to do this? What if I need more than 8 supervised inputs, can you plug another secu-16 into the ocelot or only one?

If I remember correctly, there are two types of secu-16, one that has 8 inputs and 8 outputs, and one that has 16 supervised inputs.

other than that...you can add as many secu 16 modules to your ocelot as you want, or you can go with countless other contact closure monitoring devices/plugins.

I think the "phidgets" has something. you can also use a ds10a if you plan on adding RF wireless to your setup.
            Plugins:
            BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Or use joysticks and the Stipus Direct Input plugin.

Especially if everything is already home-run.

--Dan
              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I would personally stay away from the DS10 idea if you want anything that is close to 100% reliable. I have multiple DS10s and X10 motion detectors and I would not rely on these for critical detection. I have a DS10 connected to contact for a door that is only 10 feet from my w800 antenna and it does not detect the door closure 100% of the time. I think it might be because I have an x10 motion detector in that room also and every so often the transmissions overlap and do not get received by the w800.

I now only use DS10 and x10 wireless for non-critical detection... more or less just using for informational purposes.

Comment

Megatron2, I agree. I'm down to using my DS10s only for non-critical things for the same reasons.

The more I read on the SECU-16 the more I think it's just what I need I was just fishing to see if anybody was using it in the same matter but It looks good.

Thanks for all the input

Comment

I have an ocelot and secu16 but I am not using it for my alarm system. I only mention it because I paid more for my ocelot and my secu16 than I did for my alarm panel. I am just wondering if you won't get more bang for your buck with a panel and a plugin. Of course, if you already have the hardware then it the point is moot.
                    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Ya, I see the point in that. My friend's thinking is that he would want to replace the panel with a Caddx or Elk anyways and that would cost a bit much and with the SECU-16s he has the use of all the relays.

And he doesn't have a use for all the other bells and whistles on the security panels, just wants to monitor the doors and windows and trip the siren.

Comment

Ya, I see the point in that. My friend's thinking is that he would want to replace the panel with a Caddx or Elk anyways and that would cost a bit much and with the SECU-16s he has the use of all the relays.

And he doesn't have a use for all the other bells and whistles on the security panels, just wants to monitor the doors and windows and trip the siren.

true... but when we have this hobby cheap is not always in the budget..

from my personal experience.. if i was to build a house.. i would go elk m1 gold.. no exceptions.... i cannot seem to get wires ran in my house with convenience... so i wont put one in..

if you go elk.. remember with the cost.. is also the benefit of EVERYTHING tied in... alarm... smokes.... you can do lights... touch screen... etc....
                        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Yes, homeautomation != cheap.

Not in any way shape or form

Comment

I'm using a SECU-16 w/ADIOcelot plugin. I'm happy with both.

Megatron2, I agree. I'm down to using my DS10s only for non-critical things for the same reasons.

The more I read on the SECU-16 the more I think it's just what I need I was just fishing to see if anybody was using it in the same matter but It looks good.

Thanks for all the input
                            Don

Comment

Working...
                            X