Another way to scan for viruses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another way to scan for viruses

Any ideas on how HS could be told how to run an online virus scan website like for example, Trend Micro's Housecall http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and do a full virus scan each night or even that plus during the day while I'm at work?

The reason I'm interested in doing something like this is because it would greatly reduce the load that the virus software I use now puts on my server.

I know it's kind of crazy to go without virus software all the time, but this was just a thought. If the online virus scanner would find a virus, maybe it could somehow let HS know and from that, shoot me an email that it's infected with whatever plus do some other tasks that would prevent it from harming other machines in my home or the net.

I'm not 100% crazy about doing this, but I would love to somehow try it and see how it works.

Leo Laporte once told that he didn't run virus software on his computers at home because he was a safe surfer in that he only went to sites that he trusted. I'm not brave enough to go that far, but I would be willing to create some VLANs for different PC's in my home. I really don't even surf the internet on my hs box, it main us is hs activty.

What's your opinion of this, have I lost my con-figgin mind????
    ________
    Lovely Wendie
    Last edited by Jerry Coleman; May 15, 2011, 11:23 PM.

I've not ever run AV software on my HS server as it sets in a closet and isn't used for anything other than HS. It's been this way for at least 10 years.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      I've not ever run AV software on my HS server as it sets in a closet and isn't used for anything other than HS. It's been this way for at least 10 years.
      Ditto...
      I did however have a remote desktop client running on my HS machine (I think it was vnc) and just happen to see some activity, some one had hacked in & was installing something. Just in time, I was able to cancel the install, unplug the ethernet cable, run system restore and then removed the remote desktop client.

No harm done and no viruses so far... just lucky I guess.

Comment

My event

I have a HomeTroller Series 1 set up in a remote location at a retirement home about 400 miles away from me. After I got my system setup for remote access, I was enjoying it until I saw a Windows server program running on it all in with Chinese characters being displayed. When I noticed it, I killed it. A couple of weeks later, when I rebooted my HomeTroller, the data on the D: drive had been deleted. Although I had a system restore stick, it was a very painful experience to get it back running, and I'm not fully restored as of this date.

Warren

Comment

If your machine is behind properly configured NAT/firewall and you don't surf the interwebz on it you shouldn't have to worry about AV at all.

Comment

Working...
          X