Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caddx vs Elk - Discuss

Pros and Cons. Which is worse and why?

It's an Apples to Oranges comparison. The Caddx is an alarm only system. Nothing wrong with it, but it only acts as an alarm system. The ELK is a alarm system with a lot of automation capabilities. You can attach devices directly onto the ELK and have write rules and events in the ELK hardware to control it. Some people like hooking as much up to the ELK as possible because since it is a hardware controller, it should be more reliable than any computer based solution. Even if your Homeseer system should go down for some reason, the ELK is probably still going to be up and running.

That being said, the ELK is duplicating capacity that the Homeseer can also provide. So you are paying for hardware and capabilites that you may never use - instead relying on Homeseer to provide those functions.

Bottom line is this... if you are only looking for an alarm system, the Caddx is fine and cheaper. If you want the ability to off load some automation functions to a hardware system for added reliability, then the ELK is a better choice.

Comment

Not related to Elk but similiar with HAI.

I like to "off load" functions to the panel running some independantly. Currently X-10 lighting, HVAC, security, etc. I use HS for more detailed events. HS talks to the panel and reads motion sensors for some detailed events. If HS HW fails (which occurred while I was out of town after Christmas) - it was a MB failure and downtime was more than a week; HAI panel still provided basic functionality - lights, HVAC, security, etc.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
      HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
      HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

I've installed both, and setting up the Caddx NX8e was not for the faint of heart.

Just look at the manuals for both systems and you can easily see the Elk is a lot more friendly to program.

Not saying the Caddx is bad (once you get it setup) as it's great for just home security (not as versatile as the Elk).
        --------------------------------------------------
        **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Working...
        X