ideal temperature for equipment room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    ...with summer around the corner, ... I'd like to reduce the amount of cooling I need to do in the basement by NOT venting that room into the adjacent rooms. in other words, if I can keep the equipment room @ 80 degrees, and the rest of the basement at 70 (which it tends to stay at naturally), then i won't have to run the AC in the basement very much - by isolating and containing the heat. i don't want to do that to the detriment of the equipment, though. Ian
    Ian,
    From a thermodynamics standpoint (sorry, my background is pchem ) the equipment is generating heat at a rate that is essentially independent of the ambient temperature (unless high temp causes components to fail, of course). Virtually all of the heat is most likely being dissipated to the basement or the room directly above, depending on air flow and insulation.

That will not change if you keep the room hotter. Yes, it will reduce the load initially until the temperature differential is sufficient to overcome the insulation value of the enclosure. But, in the end, the heat will have to go somewhere. The only way I can see that you can affect the amount of heat going to the rest of the basement is to deliberately funnel the heat to some other place, like the return duct of the HVAC system or directly outside.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Mike,
      I was thinking about pulling the hotter air out of the room by having a low powered 2" fan running 24/7 on a 2" conduit tube that I installed going from the equipment room to the garage. I have two of them that I put in for future wiring access, but do not see in needing more than the one any time soon.

I don't know how effective it would be to do that, and if that would use more electricity than just letting the heat "bleed" into the rest of the basement and compensating by running the hvac a bit more to keep the basement cool.

Ian.
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Those pesky quantitative questions!

If you are successful in transferring the hot air to the garage, then the question is, Where will the replacement air come from? Presumably it will come from the (conditioned) air in the house, which will, in turn, be replenished by outside air. If that air is cooler than the air that is exhausted, then maybe you win.

It's not obvious that you will save much energy, but it may be worth a try. Is there a way to measure the effect? Will it be big enough to measure? If it isn't, does it matter?
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
        X