HS and HTPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS and HTPC

I would like to interface HS with my HTPC and have some questions.

1. Does HS have to be on the HTPC or can I network the computer with HS and the HTPC together?
    2. What media center do you use? I've seen a lot of people talk about Windows Media Center and Mainlobby. Are there any others that support HS?
    3. My HTPC will be running Windows 7. Will this complicate things even more?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by jls944 View Post
    I would like to interface HS with my HTPC and have some questions.

1. Does HS have to be on the HTPC or can I network the computer with HS and the HTPC together?
    2. What media center do you use? I've seen a lot of people talk about Windows Media Center and Mainlobby. Are there any others that support HS?
    3. My HTPC will be running Windows 7. Will this complicate things even more?

Thanks in advance.
    I run HS on my win7 htpc and the only problem is with TTS announcements, WHA, and the HTPC audio. I've put in enough work arounds to where it doesn't really complicate things too much, but at first it was quite frustrating.

We use WMC7 and love it. there really is no "interface" per se' between HS and HTPC, except that they both live on the same computer. what exactly are you hoping to acheive in the interface?

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I wanted to have my automation software and HTPC software on separate computers. My automation computer is downstairs and has its own monitor so I can work on it without disturbing my wife. The HTPC will be in the living room. Can I network the two computers or should all information be on 1 computer?

Comment

Don't know how relevant this is, but I am working on linking the HS interface directly with HTPC viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgL4l7u7cV4

Comment

not to hijack this thread, but i'm curious after watching your youtube video - was that HStouch that had WMC embedded in it, or was it something else?
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Htpc

Hi All,

My question relates to this thread so thought I'd post it here.

I have the luxury (and pleasure) of setting up my Dads new house with HomeSeer and a home theatre system. (z wave). The house is being built currently so I have time up my sleeve.

I'm looking at something similiar to this system for the HTPC: http://www.pcmarket.com.au/system-de...newtopage=true

But as completelyhis pointed out, you can have issues with TTS and WHS.

Is the solution here to set your output for TTS to a specific sound card, and the same a seperate sound card for the media content?

Ideally I'm looking at running homeseer on the home theatre PC as it will be quite powerful and just keeps things neat. Plus of course i'd love to have the two talk to each other (windows media plugin for homeseer).

Or would I be better off keeping them seperate? I'm looking into Sonos as a future addition for multi room audio (TTS/Music). but this will come later.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by jls944 View Post
              I wanted to have my automation software and HTPC software on separate computers. My automation computer is downstairs and has its own monitor so I can work on it without disturbing my wife. The HTPC will be in the living room. Can I network the two computers or should all information be on 1 computer?

That it what I do, but there is no interaction between HTPC and HS. I have IR sensor that raises and dims lights when I pause/play movies, etc. but HTPC does not particpate in that. Allows me to use my Logitech IR remote to run HS events. Still think Logitech is best sub-$200 method for controlling AV

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
              HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
              2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
              USB UIRT
              Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
              WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
              HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
              HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
              2GIG Thermostat
              BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
              BLUPS
              UltraLog (SQL2008)
              Jon00 Plugins
              Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
              Global Cache IP2IR
              Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Originally posted by dj_siek View Post
                Hi All,

My question relates to this thread so thought I'd post it here.

I have the luxury (and pleasure) of setting up my Dads new house with HomeSeer and a home theatre system. (z wave). The house is being built currently so I have time up my sleeve.

I'm looking at something similiar to this system for the HTPC: http://www.pcmarket.com.au/system-de...newtopage=true

But as completelyhis pointed out, you can have issues with TTS and WHS.

Is the solution here to set your output for TTS to a specific sound card, and the same a seperate sound card for the media content?

Ideally I'm looking at running homeseer on the home theatre PC as it will be quite powerful and just keeps things neat. Plus of course i'd love to have the two talk to each other (windows media plugin for homeseer).

Or would I be better off keeping them seperate? I'm looking into Sonos as a future addition for multi room audio (TTS/Music). but this will come later.

Thank you
                I have sonos too and love it. I'd keep HS and HTPC sepearate. I do it so I can work on it without disturbing HTPC. Bought refurb Dell zino wth decent chip and 3GB RAM for $300.

I use Dirk's plugt-in, but only with events. Day to day operation of Sonos is done with CR100's (have 4) and IOS devices

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                USB UIRT
                HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                2GIG Thermostat
                BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                BLUPS
                UltraLog (SQL2008)
                Jon00 Plugins
                Global Cache IP2IR
                Foscam FI8918W

Comment

sounds good. do you run TTS through Sonos?

So with your logitech IR, you control events in HS (lights etc) as well as the HTPC. But in turn, Homeseer doesn't control the HTPC (i.e selecting movies etc).

I'm looking into controlling the projector and amp via Rs232 or IR. Found a few devices that do this wirelessly (using this

But I was presuming i'd control Amp/Projector settings over HS events. And then control content via Logitech or whatever remote that goes with the media center.

Seems like i might be a little confused

Comment

Yes. Logitech controls events. I have a USBUIRT and have IR triggers setup in HS.

Many decent receivers have 12v triggers and RS232: i'd use those to control projector/screen if I needed it.

I don't do anything with HS and WMC, would be a lot of effort to replicate all logic in Harmony remote

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                    USB UIRT
                    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                    2GIG Thermostat
                    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                    BLUPS
                    UltraLog (SQL2008)
                    Jon00 Plugins
                    Global Cache IP2IR
                    Foscam FI8918W

Comment

You can also take a look at EventGhost, it has plugins for the popular media players like WMC and XBMC so it can react to the playback being paused or resumed. It can also send commands to IR blasters, rs232, etc.. Also this doesn't require homeseer and the htpc to be the same box.

I have seen a homeseer plugin for EventGhost as well but I have never tried it, from what I've seen it's not fully developed but if may have enough where someone familier with python could get it working.

This is the route I plan on going when I get the time so forgive me if this is vauge as I have not actually implemented it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by nbayer View Post
                        You can also take a look at EventGhost, it has plugins for the popular media players like WMC and XBMC so it can react to the playback being paused or resumed. It can also send commands to IR blasters, rs232, etc.. Also this doesn't require homeseer and the htpc to be the same box.

I have seen a homeseer plugin for EventGhost as well but I have never tried it, from what I've seen it's not fully developed but if may have enough where someone familier with python could get it working.

This is the route I plan on going when I get the time so forgive me if this is vauge as I have not actually implemented it yet.
                        if it was finished it would be good (shame). If not, I'd use USB UIRT with the proviso that you don't use WMC for music (I don't: I use AppleTV and mostly Sonos ).

As it just detects the IR signal for play, pause, stop, it can't know the media type

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                        USB UIRT
                        HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                        2GIG Thermostat
                        BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                        BLUPS
                        UltraLog (SQL2008)
                        Jon00 Plugins
                        Global Cache IP2IR
                        Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Working...