What is needed for HVAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is needed for HVAC

I am a newbie and I have Homeseer up and running with X10 for my lights. I am wanting to install a new Thermostat that I can use with HS. It looks like Z-Wave is most common. What all would I need to get started? A Thermostat and Z-Wave Controller? Any recommendations?

Well, to boil it down to the simplist terms, you need a communicating thermostat. There are two major types of communicating thermostats: wireless and wired. The z-wave models are wireless as far as the automation communication. They are actually still hardwired back to the HVAC system for the basic thermostat type functions.

Wired communicating thermostats may require a few extra wires to run properly. But there are some models (like the RCS line) that have two parts to the system. The basic thermostat uses the normal 4 wires that modern thermostats use. Those 4 wires go back to a processing/communication unit that is usually mounted next to the HVAC system. You do need to run about 8 wires (1 cat5e) from the processing unit to the HVAC unit, but those wires should be easy to run.

Obviously there needs to be a plugin that will work with the communicating thermostat that you choose. So make sure you educate yourself to the thermostats that have existing support and buy one of those.

Personally I have a RCS TR-40 which is a hardwired thermostat but uses the original thermostat wire to run from the processor to the thermostat. This made switching from my old "dumb" thermostat to the new communicating thermostat very easy because I used the existing wire and didn't have to run new wire. The processor is literally installed on the HVAC unit and I ran a 2' cat5e wire from the processor to the HVAC controls. It took perhaps 30 minutes to get everything connected.

Comment

TR-40 or WDC20

I too am looking for a recommendation. My house has four thermostats controlling four HVAC units. I have easy attic access all four air handlers so I am leaning towards the RCS hardwired units. I do not need any remote sensors. The RCS units seem pricey when compared to the WDC20's. Why would I spend the extra $$ on the hardwired RCS units?

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut View Post
        I too am looking for a recommendation. My house has four thermostats controlling four HVAC units. I have easy attic access all four air handlers so I am leaning towards the RCS hardwired units. I do not need any remote sensors. The RCS units seem pricey when compared to the WDC20's. Why would I spend the extra $$ on the hardwired RCS units?
        Because they are a much higher quality stat. If you want a Z-Wave stat check out the Trane units. These are the same or better quality as the RCS's
        http://store.homeseer.com/store/TZEM...e-P720C38.aspx
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
        X