Garbled X10 from Security System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garbled X10 from Security System

I'm looking for advice. I've recently connected my home security system (First Alert/Honeywell FA168CPS)-based system to HS with a 1361X10 transformer. Whenever there is an arming state change (Armed Away, Armed Stay, Disarmed) I'm supposed to get three X10 signals (ex: Away On, Stay Off, Disarmed Off).

When disarming the system I usually get two of the three, but arming is less reliable. I also get a number of "junk" X10 signals (ex: A3 On (should be B3 On), or B11 with no on or off) as well.

I have a cross-over amplifier and my other X10 devices are pretty reliable, but this alarm system connection is a problem. I feel it has something to do with the way the FA168 is generating the signals.

Does anyone have any experience with an X10 connection to a FA security panel, or suggestions on alternate ways to connect them? I've been reading a number of threads, but wanted to ask the specific question before I get carried away with technical ($$$) solutions.

It sounds like it may just be a weak or marginal signal and if you have any noise on your power lines it could corrupt your signals as well. You may be better off getting one of the system that has serial connectivity and be done with it. The DSC line of security systems is very affordable and has a so so plugin but it works pretty good.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Rupp. I'm very happy with the company that installed and supports the security system, and was hoping not to have to replace it.

I understand your suggestion about weak signals, but I've spent a lot of time getting my X10 stable and it's only the security system that seems to be having a problem.

Again, thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by madmellow View Post
        Thanks for the suggestion, Rupp. I'm very happy with the company that installed and supports the security system, and was hoping not to have to replace it.

I understand your suggestion about weak signals, but I've spent a lot of time getting my X10 stable and it's only the security system that seems to be having a problem.

Again, thanks for the input.
        Do you have a coupler/repeater installed at the circuit panel? If not this may help with the strenght of the signals.
        Does this unit have direct serial connection option available? Lastly, what X-10 interface are you using?

Comment

My coupler is installed behind the dryer, but can be moved to the panel without trouble. There does not appear to be any direct connection from the panel. Finally, I'm using a SmartHome 2413U with the latest plug-in for Insteon from HS. I also have a 2414U connected for Indigo, which I use only to monitor signals and for the iPhone App. Indigo's logs show similar garbles and junk commands.

Comment

You may have much better luck with a TI-103 as these are one of the better X10 interfaces left. The Insteon hardware is one of the worst at X10 signals.
            http://store.homeseer.com/store/TI10...ro-P20C45.aspx

Comment

I just realized that the X10/power transformer for the security system was plugged into a surge suppressor. I just removed it and will monitor things for a few days.

Comment

For the record, I added an Insteon 2450 to a hardwired output of my security panel. All seems to be working as expected, now. I guess I should have known better than to rely on X10 for such a sensitive application.

Comment

Working...
                X