Windows 7 and running HS from Startup Folder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 and running HS from Startup Folder

Ok, I usually just drag a copy of the HS shortcut into the Startup folder.

What permission did I not set properly, which makes me click "OK" or "Yes" or whatever that security message is?

Is there a way to get rid of that for HS specifically? Without that I can't get Win7 to run HS from the startup folder.

Thanks!

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Dan,

I think you can just turn UAC off completely...pretty sure I did that on my HS win7 machine, due to issues like what you're describing.

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Yes,

I had to do this also.

Comment

I was trying to keep it on, as this is my server, and I try not to run a LOT of "protection" type stuff on it...I thought the UAC might help protect me from...something...

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

It's basically a reminder for those who need reminding. If you are carefull and understand what you are loading and such you should not have any issues. That being said, disable at your own risk !!

Comment

No need to turn off UAC

I've been using this method to run Homeseer from a startup script and from my desktop shortcut, all without the UAC prompt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11949-elevated-program-shortcut-without-uac-prompt-create.html

Comment

Vegas,

What benefits does this have over turning off UAC?

Comment

Dave,

Looks like it uses a loophole to load HS with higher permissions. As the Task Scheduler wouldn't want to have to wait for you to click OK, seems like it will allow you to explicitly bypass UAC, but for only ONE program per configuration (which is what I was looking for).

I wanted to leave the UAC on, for the JUST IN CASE...but allow UAC to be disabled for JUST Homeseer.

--Dan

Comment

Originally posted by djanse View Post
                  It's basically a reminder for those who need reminding. If you are carefull and understand what you are loading and such you should not have any issues. That being said, disable at your own risk !!
                  I turned off UAC when I was testing a 64bit driver that just wouldn't work without it. Well... needless to say some webpage I visited installed some crap without warning me, without prompting me etc... It removed access to the task manager, and did a bunch of other junk. I'm pretty sure it's there for a good reason.

According to most pro developers, if you follow some basic guidelines about where to store settings and modify files UAC will not bug your users.

Now... that being said, HS doesn't follow those and modifies files under the program files directory etc.

Vista took a huge PR beating because it forced the security concepts on the developers who were not ready to take a step in the right direction. It did this by annoying the users... which in turn backfired since not enough dev's out there made adjustments. Well, since 7 is here to stay, maybe the path of making HS fully windows 7 compatible with UAC turned on is something we should pressure HS for in the future.
                  Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Vegas,

Looks like this is what I need to do. I'll give it a shot later tonight.

--Dan

Comment

HMMMMMMmmmmmm.......

Lord help us.....

How can one that has basic computer knowledge understand this? How can a newbie that downloads HS for the first time even begin to understand this configuration with Windows 64bit?

At my age I am just happy it starts up....

Comment

Originally posted by djanse View Post
                        Vegas,

What benefits does this have over turning off UAC?
                        The big benefit is you can leave the UAC on which will stop unknown/unwanted programs from running at levels beyond std user. The UAC on Windows 7 is not really bothersome, so I would prefer to leave it on. In Vista it was so annoying that I shut it off completly (and then went back to XP).

Now I kind of equate turning it off to logging into Linux as root all the time. You'll have no problems most of the time, but sooner or later you'll have that one time when you wished you hadn't done that.

Jeff

Comment

Did you have any AV protection?

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
                          I turned off UAC when I was testing a 64bit driver that just wouldn't work without it. Well... needless to say some webpage I visited installed some crap without warning me, without prompting me etc... It removed access to the task manager, and did a bunch of other junk. I'm pretty sure it's there for a good reason.

According to most pro developers, if you follow some basic guidelines about where to store settings and modify files UAC will not bug your users.

Now... that being said, HS doesn't follow those and modifies files under the program files directory etc.

Vista took a huge PR beating because it forced the security concepts on the developers who were not ready to take a step in the right direction. It did this by annoying the users... which in turn backfired since not enough dev's out there made adjustments. Well, since 7 is here to stay, maybe the path of making HS fully windows 7 compatible with UAC turned on is something we should pressure HS for in the future.
                          Plugins:
                          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                            Did you have any AV protection?
                            Yes I did, and it did pop up and let me know there was a problem, but it had already made the changes blocking the task manager. I really don't know how it did this, but it did. I knew something was wrong right away, but it took a lot of work to actually do something about it. I'm not sure if it was a java vulnerability, or Firefox, but I'm pretty sure it was one or the other.

My main point I suppose that MS thinks UAC should on for a reason, and I agree. It's like turning off your firewall completely and setting up a DMZ so you could get to your homeseer webserver from the internet. It would work, but it's not recommended since it opens up more than you want.
                            Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Jeff,

Worked perfectly!

Thanks!

--Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X