HomeSeer wifi cam reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjh View Post
    You can still view the video remotely even though HSTouch is accessing the camera from a local URL. The actual video picture is being retrieved by HomeSeer, then its relayed to the HSTouch client. It was done this way so you don't need to be concerned where you are connecting from. The HSTouch clients never access URL's directly, all Internet access is done through HomeSeer.
    Thanks. That really helps! Also, I found the problems with my buttons late last night and corrected them.

It would really be nice if we could use device replacement variables ...

[$SCRIPT=&hs.DeviceString("L2")]

much nicer as

[$$DS:L2]

(or whatever is the correct device syntax)

That said, your input is much appreciated ... I'll make changes to all my HSTouch screens to reflect the internal IP addresses and that will greatly improve responsiveness to the device updates, particularly netcams.
    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Well, I can get you close, you can do this:

[$SCRIPT=&hs.ReplaceVariables("$$DV:L2")]

This will also allow you to use the date formatting from HomeSeer as opposed to the built-in date formatting. All the available replacement variables are documented here:

http://www.homeseer.com/support/home..._variables.htm

I assume however, you were looking for a shortcut, less complex command.

Originally posted by huggy_d1 View Post
      Thanks. That really helps! Also, I found the problems with my buttons late last night and corrected them.

It would really be nice if we could use device replacement variables ...

[$SCRIPT=&hs.DeviceString("L2")]

much nicer as

[$$DS:L2]

(or whatever is the correct device syntax)

That said, your input is much appreciated ... I'll make changes to all my HSTouch screens to reflect the internal IP addresses and that will greatly improve responsiveness to the device updates, particularly netcams.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Camera drops off line

I have two of these little gems. When they are working, they are wonderful. I'm still working my way through some of the advice in this thread. My cams work great for 10 to 12 hours then drop off. They are connected to the FIOS (Actiontec) wireless router. I added hi gain antennas to improve the signal and the movement is very smooth. Distance to the cams is approx 160 feet. I have searched the web for more info and discovered that there is a lot of frustration (other than Homeseer users) with these cams. The manufacturer maintains a web site and blog and I found another www.gadgetvictims.com that has a lot of advice. Also, there seem to be some clones/ripoffs selling on ebay and amazon that are confusing the issues, faulty antenna wiring to be one.

If anybody has any further advice, beyond what has been generously offered below, I'd be all ears. Rebooting the cameras has restored the link in most cases, but that's not a good fix. I'm getting ready to change the encryption from WEP to WPA as recommended below and by the manufacturer, but that's not a wonderful solution, even if it works, for obvious reasons. Broadcast SSID is on and still using DHCP, but have previously tried a static IP.

Sorry for the ramble. Just looking for ideas.

Comment

I obtained one of these unbranded cameras this Spring and have it installed in a covered exterior location. I'm certain they are all made by Shenzhen Eye Sight Technology of China. I have had no issue with continuous connection for months. In my case it is uploaded to a digital frame every few minutes with other occasional use of the motion controls. This is even held up well in the 110+ Arizona temperatures.

I originally had it connected via a basic Linksys router and then changed to a Buffalo with DD-WRT firmware a few months ago. My ISP connection is via cable company.

Comment

Camera radio finally just died...completely

Worked great out of the box...except the camera dropped off the net after 10 - 12 hours. Rebooting fixed the problem until the next drop out. Now nothing works. Even sitting next to the router there is no apparent signal from the camera. When connected by cable to the router everything works like a charm. Tried all of the recommendations regarding broadcast, encryption, no encryption etc offered here while the radio was still working, but nothing fixed that problem. Radio just failed intermittently from the beginning and then just died completely. Out of warranty, pitched the packaging!

On the plus side, with the exception of the wifi "issues" this is one sweet camera. I especially like the night vision. Had it set up in my kennel where an occasional moth would flutter by and be captured in the view, labrador puppies sleeping quietly in the background!

Sound worked great as well, allowing me to monitor the puppy's play cycles. No need to watch the screen all day as the sound would get your attention first!

Comment

Originally posted by deheacock View Post
              Worked great out of the box...except the camera dropped off the net after 10 - 12 hours. Rebooting fixed the problem until the next drop out. Now nothing works. Even sitting next to the router there is no apparent signal from the camera. When connected by cable to the router everything works like a charm. Tried all of the recommendations regarding broadcast, encryption, no encryption etc offered here while the radio was still working, but nothing fixed that problem. Radio just failed intermittently from the beginning and then just died completely. Out of warranty, pitched the packaging!

On the plus side, with the exception of the wifi "issues" this is one sweet camera. I especially like the night vision. Had it set up in my kennel where an occasional moth would flutter by and be captured in the view, labrador puppies sleeping quietly in the background!

Sound worked great as well, allowing me to monitor the puppy's play cycles. No need to watch the screen all day as the sound would get your attention first!
              Which camera was this?

Comment

Worked great out of the box...except the camera dropped off the net after 10 - 12 hours. Rebooting fixed the problem until the next drop out. Now nothing works.
                There have been some firmware updates on the cameras just this month. Perhaps this may fix your problems?

If you do update the firmware, be sure to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY to avoid "bricking" your netcam.

Mark

Comment

Camera model

Rupp, this is the Foscam pan and tilt. Not at my usual haunt or I'd give you the model number etc.

Thanks Mark. I'll check the firmware updates and report back.

Comment

Rupp, this is the Foscam pan and tilt. Not at my usual haunt or I'd give you the model number etc.

Thanks Mark. I'll check the firmware updates and report back.
                    I was having some network connection issues with my Pan/Tilt unit and the updated firmware fixed them for me. FYI

Comment

How to ftp server to work with this cam

Could someone explain to me how to Config the Ipcam (F18904w) to Ftp.

I have my FTP server setup and it connecting ok with my ie brower and it also works outside the firewall. I am using port 21 and I have a static Ip address setup on ftp server. The IpCam still won't talk to the ftp server. Could someone explain to me how they got their ip cam device to work and what ftp server they are using.

Thank You

Greg Mack.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post

I have my FTP server setup and it connecting ok with my ie brower and it also works outside the firewall. I am using port 21 and I have a static Ip address setup on ftp server. The IpCam still won't talk to the ftp server. Could someone explain to me how they got their ip cam device to work and what ftp server they are using.

Thank You

Greg Mack.
                        Have you updated the firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post

Thank You

Greg Mack.
                          I've had my share of 'fun' dealing with my two (one indoor/one out). I'm using the free Filezilla (google it) and the settings I was able to re-activate & work today were:
                          FTP Server 192.168.xx.xx
                          FTP Port 21
                          FTP User username
                          FTP Password password
                          FTP Upload Folder / (or no slash, both seem to work)
                          FTP Mode PORT

You have to check 'upload image now' to turn it on, and with an interval of 3 or 5 seconds, I can see my Filezilla box doing fine accepting the filez. I tried on my other cam which I don't think I had FTP setup for in the past, and it didn't work with these same settings. I suspect I did have to open a port on Windows Firewall, and/or set it somewhere to accept from the FTP cam's IP.

Good luck! I love the cams, I just wish I could find a wide angle lens for the outdoor one that doesn't turn the world into cartoon colors in broad daylight. Seems they only sell them overseas for a ridiculous sum (mostly shipping$$)

Comment

>> I'm using the free Filezilla (google it) and the settings I was able to re-activate & work today were:

Thank you, I will try to use Filezilla today.

>> Have you updated the firmware?

My Device Firmware Version is 11.15.2.17. if I need to update my firware where do I download from.

Thank You

Greg Mack

Comment

I wish these were POE, it would better suit the outdoor model. What has everyone done for the outdoor netcam, 18-2 to the camera and then power with the supplied transformer or one with a slightly higher voltage depending on the length of wire used?
                              Any links to compatible transformers and would you just splice the camera power connector on the end of the 18-2.
                              Last edited by kaffeene; November 25, 2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

It was easier for me to run romex from a J-box in the attic to my outside install location than run cat-5. Installed a regular GFCI receptical next to where I wanted to mount the cam and plugged in the supplied transformer. Could use the other plug for another outside power source if needed such as Christmas lights.

Comment

Working...
                                X