No announcement yet.

HomeSeer wifi cam reviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah.. I might want one under my soffit and it would be just as easy for me to put an outlet in as running cat 5. I suppose I could use that D-Link unit that sends power over cat5 and then pulls it off with the end module.

Actually I am having a problem accessing the cameras interface with my Win 7 64 computer using IE. My XP computer worked fine using IE but with Win 7 I am using Chrome because when using IE as soon as I click to allow the Active X control module my computer freezes and must be turned off by holding the power button. So I'm having problems with the Active X and Win 7 64. Anybody know what this is?
    Last edited by kaffeene; November 25, 2010, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaffeene View Post
      I wish these were POE, it would better suit the outdoor model. What has everyone done for the outdoor netcam, 18-2 to the camera and then power with the supplied transformer or one with a slightly higher voltage depending on the length of wire used?
      Any links to compatible transformers and would you just splice the camera power connector on the end of the 18-2.
      I used a 2-wire thermostat wire to send the power to my cams. I did calculate the distance and upped the voltage a little to compensate, but it works fine...
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I made a wall plate of sorts in the garage (still need to adjust the cabling some). I used a 4 port Keystone jack wall plate. I did find a barrel type of DC connector Keystone jack but they were a bit costly so I made one with a round hole keystone cover (for RG-6) and a DC adapter barrel connector. I used 16 gauge 2 wire for power in about a 20 foot run. It is the same as the speaker wire you see in the picture. Red/Black 16 guage white jacket PVC. Attached is a picture.

The first Foscam (later revision FW than posted) locked up after a time doing a 640X480 motion view of it via Zoneminder. I "updated" it with an earlier FW revision per Foscam customer service. That messed with it more making the problems worst. Foscam customer service was good but I still have a brick. I bought a second newer model Foscam PT camera. Some newer features, more and brighter LED's but still locks up - so I don't touch it anymore and use a snapshot cgi instead of the live view on it. This one also doesn't have the alarm outputs as the earlier versions did. There's a feature to lock the PT piece as its booting and it doesn't really work; such that I have to move the camera to position once rebooted. There is no blinking light in the front but rather only the back with this one. Also just found out I cannot have two active x sessions to the camera simultaneously. One gets video and the other a blank box. I can though get Firefox to work one view and IE to work the othew view at the same time.

The network connection runs about 50 or so feet to the "patch panel" and to a switch. The difficult piece was fishing the three cables to the top of the insulated outside wall. Fishing the wires into the basement was a bit timeconsuming. I also ran conduit and two RG6 cables from about mid point of the wall into the basement.

One picture is of the wall plate in a standard LV plastic style box. It is mounted about 8-9 feet up near the ceiling. The Foscam is mounted upside down on the ceiling. I still have to paint the ceiling so once setup is completed the cabling will be sort of hidden in the corners where the ceiling meets the wall with small plastic trim. It gives it a bit of a finished look to it. The setup works well for me. (and yes that is a very old Realistic all metal cabinet (a bit heavy) little speaker in the garage. It does crank.). Two zones in the garage - one Homeseer and one just for music (separate amp etc) - two sets of speakers.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; November 26, 2010, 05:24 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

My camera user interface is freezing my Windows 7 64 computer when using IE shortly after allowing the ActiveX module. I've checked the security settings and lowered them and even if it was that I wouldn't think it would freeze my computer to the point that I have to hold the power button to restart it. So I use Chrome to access the netcam but I lose some features.

Comment

I recently purchased (2) of the external IP cameras and am in the middle of testing connectivity....

I'm running the Netgear power injectors right now on one camera and its working fine. Per the earlier posts, these Netgear units strip out the power cable on both ends. Also worth noting is that the power lead wire from the camera is a 1.5mm female connector (not 100% posiive on size but its small..). The male end on the power cable that comes with the Netgear is 3.5mm (again not 100% sure on these sizes) but its bigger. I had to order some connector plugs from digi-key and cut/resolder new ends on the Netgear connector cable to get this to work.

My other camera has replaced an analog unit. For power, I did the same mod as noted above on the existing analog RGB/power cable that was already run. Power was fed using the existing power supply and analog wire. Network is wireless. So far it works "ok" but quality of the image is not so great and network connectivity drops off then comes back all by itself. i was thinking it may be the wifi but will check the bios to see if an upgrade is needed.

I'm going to go with a pair of Netgears to both cameras and provide network over cat5e. Wifi is nice but not as reliable as wire (imo).

-Ray

Comment

I'm using Air802 POEPASS-03 passive PoE injector/splitters. I found they work fine using the regular Foscam 5V/2A power supplies over 25ft of Cat6 and need a 6V/2A or 2.5A (or thereabouts) power supply for 25ft of Cat5e and 50ft of Cat6. Foscam say their adapter is 3.5mm x 1.35mm and that's what the POEPASS-03 has, so I didn't have to mix and match ends. I used a 6V power supply from RShack and their adapter code is 'H', which is 3.4mm x 1.3mm - it fits ok.
              All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

Relating to using a Keystone wall mount face plate the non POE style connection.

You can also purchase "ends" / Power supplies / etc from Allellectronics dot com at a fraction of the RS price. I made instead of purchased a Keystone 12VDC jack. I could only find one or two places that sold them and they were expensive. So I took an "blank" RG6 Keystone insert and put a AllEllectronics barrel connector jack in the blank space. Works well - you just have to solder the proper pin outs; I used a Multimeter to check just the center and sheilding leads before connecting power to it.

NOTE the "Realistic" speaker. It is very old and was utilized in my older home. The case is metal and the speaker is very heavy. Very modular as I've replaced the insides a couple of times. It still sounds nice for its size; filling the garage with sound via a very small footprint. RS went to plastic external speakers in the 2000's which were OK. I also went to the newer RS external speakers in the early 2000's; same metal cabinet; much larger and had an RCA logo on them. I use these today for local near the HS box audio output.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Win 7 IE 8 Lock ups

Anyone else having issues with Windows 7x64 and IE 8? I have 2 different computers that both lock up but a Windows 7x32 system does not. This occurs after loading the activex control. hard freeze that requires a power down. I checked Foscom support forum and there are a bunch of reported issues with no feedback on a fix. Firmware is current version..

Just curious...

-Ray

Comment

Originally posted by rrepic View Post
                    Anyone else having issues with Windows 7x64 and IE 8? I have 2 different computers that both lock up but a Windows 7x32 system does not. This occurs after loading the activex control. hard freeze that requires a power down. I checked Foscom support forum and there are a bunch of reported issues with no feedback on a fix. Firmware is current version..

Just curious...

-Ray
                    No problems. You need to make sure you are running the 32 bit version of internet explorer instead of the 64 bit. Both are installed when ie8 is installed. Also, you need to add your camera's ip address to the list of trusted websites under the security tab in internet options and set the security level for trusted websites to low.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider1111 View Post
                      No problems. You need to make sure you are running the 32 bit version of internet explorer instead of the 64 bit. Both are installed when ie8 is installed. Also, you need to add your camera's ip address to the list of trusted websites under the security tab in internet options and set the security level for trusted websites to low.
                      Echo that ghost rider!

x64 IE has a ton of issues still with compat with sites. I would stick with x32 IE.
                      Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider1111 View Post

Well I tried tht on both laptops and both still locked up. I am running 32bit IE8 on the Win7x64 systems.

Ill compare the one machine that does work which is Win 7 32bit and see what may be different with IE configuration...

Thanks!!!!

-Ray

Comment

You can run Google Chrome or Firefox and use the server push mode to see the streaming video.
                          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I use only FF with the Foscam rather than IE.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Looking at the Foscam's to use in the HStouch install. Really interested in the ones with Pan and Tilt. Can you control the PnT with HS Touch?

Thought I don't want to, it looks like I may have to get these to replace the X10 Ninja kits' that I have to go to IP.
                              Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
                                Looking at the Foscam's to use in the HStouch install. Really interested in the ones with Pan and Tilt. Can you control the PnT with HS Touch?

Thought I don't want to, it looks like I may have to get these to replace the X10 Ninja kits' that I have to go to IP.
                                Look at the bottom of the camera page. There's a link to the HSTouch Pan/Tilt Camera XML File
                                http://store.homeseer.com/store/Wire...-P962C194.aspx
                                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                                X