Losing Z-Stick COM Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing Z-Stick COM Port

I doubt very much this is a Homeseer problem.

Twice now in the span of three days, (each time shortly before I want to go to bed) I've completely lost Z-Wave control. On restarting HS, it complains it cannot find the interface. On checking, it seems the virtual COM port has disappeared from the Windows Control Panel. Each time, I've had to uninstall the Aeon drivers and software, reboot, re-install, reboot and finally restart Homeseer. This second time, I've had to move the stick to another USB port in order to recover the port.
    If it occurs again, I'm going back to the Z-Troller; something I ought to have done long ago anyway, and stuffing the Stick where the sun doesn't shine (the back of my bottom file cabinet drawer). This is where Z-Wave can be a pain in that it'll take the better part of an afternoon reconfiguring devices to another interface.
    The only reason I bought the Z-Stick, in December, was that the Z-Troller at that time didn't have the code to support the Schlage lock. It's worked well up until now. What gives???

There. I'm done venting!
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

I'm having the same exact problem. I'm a bit concerned however that you posted this back in May and have yet to have a single reply. Is this what has happened to HomeSeer support? Do I actually have to PAY to get help with a warranty issue??

Comment

Originally posted by santiagodraco View Post
      I'm having the same exact problem. I'm a bit concerned however that you posted this back in May and have yet to have a single reply. Is this what has happened to HomeSeer support? Do I actually have to PAY to get help with a warranty issue??
      Like Wadenut said, this likely isn't a HomeSeer issue but more likely a hardware issue and unless we have experienced this first hand there too many things that one could guess at solving this. Hopefully Wadenut will respond if he solved this issue.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Rupp.

So to understand you guys don't provide support for the sticks themselves? IE if they need replaced/etc I need to go directly to AEON labs? If that is the case, fair enough.

Alternately has there been any changes to either Ztool or the Z-Stick 2 that allow for backup of the device so that it can be easily swapped? I saw some of the other threads on the process... and it seems to be somewhat of a pita

If the device is bad I'd hope it can be backed up and then replaced/restored.

Lastly, if you don't mind saying, how can you reset the device (and I assume a reset means a lot of work recovering as I expect I'll lose all the node data)?

Comment

Same problem.

Do someone has understand and solved it?

Comment

I had this problem before as well, I was able to fix it by reflashing my z-stick with the z-stick firmware provided on the aeon labs website (aeotec i guess). I am not sure if this will fix anyone else's problem, but it definately fixed mine.

Comment

I just started experiencing this recently. I noticed that the battery in one of my HMT1000s died around the same time.

I also have some everspring door sensors that we causing me grief at one point back in my system. I might pick up a few more Aeon ones.
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
              Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
              weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I just read about half the first post in this thread before I realized it was mine.
                The good news is the problem was solved. I apologize that I didn't follow up with info at the time.
                The bad news, I'm afraid, is that I don't remember how. Nor do I remember having had the problem in the first place. It was lost in the myriad problems I've had with HS and related drivers etc., and solved over the years. I did start a working log at one point but it seems to only go back to early last year.
                I eventually went back to the Z-Troller for another unrelated reason. For the record, other than the ability to backup and restore the network, I see no real difference in functionality nor reliability with either device.

Edit: On re-reading that first post, it may be that moving the stick to another USB port might have done the trick since I didn't mention it again.
                Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Working...
                X