Gate sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate sensor

I would like to set up a sensor for my yard gate to signal open or closed.... its only about 30 feet from my house so I could do wired or zwave. what is the best method to use for a weatherproof housing and what kind of contacts should i use? thanks.
    HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

I use an overhead garage door contact. They are pretty much weather proof, and have a good gap distance. I am trying to figure out how to take my rusted chain link fence gate apart so I can hide the contacts. I put one on the other gate and placed it down low, but if you knew what you were looking for, you can see it. It works great, but I would like to hide it. I will probably need an impact wrench to get the set screws out of the gate. Then I can hide the wire inside the pipes and do some type of metal flexible conduit from the gate to the fence post. I use digital inputs on my homeseer computer so, that is what I use to monitor it.
    A computer's attention span is as long
    as it's powercord.

Comment

I use a DS10 in a simple plastic box mounted on the inside of the fence next to the gate hinge. If your gate is made of wood, then you can try using wide gap door sensors that are designed to be countersunk into the door and frame. Put the magnet in the gate, the switch in the gate post, and drill a small hole through the post to get the wires to the box. If you have a metal gate, then the garage door sensor is probably a better, but more visible choice.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I also use a DS10 with just plain ole window security contacts. As it is a steel gate with a lot of metal I had to buy a large magnet to get the contacts to work reliably. Guess the gate absorbs most of the magnetic energy but with the large magnet it has been working reliably for about 6 months. It is easily seen though but as I only use it for monitoring and emailing open or close it doesn't matter.
        Of course all the electronics for the opener are using hardwired switches.

Comment

Working...
        X