AB8SS power handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AB8SS power handling

Did a search, couldn't find anything. Looking to see if anyone knows how much power the AB8SS can handle. I want to get a bigger amp (like 750 watts) as I have a bunch of speakers and they can handle the higher power, just don't want to fry my switcher.

thanks!
    HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

There's still a chart on the website for the AB8SS.

http://www.avircontrols.com/nab8ssspec.html
    Attached Files
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      There's still a chart on the website for the AB8SS.

http://www.avircontrols.com/nab8ssspec.html
      Hey Pete,

I did see that but wasn't sure how to use it.

Let's say I have 6 speakers according to that chart max speaker wattage is 27 watts, max amp output is 87 watts. Is that per speaker?? So 87x6 522 watts max?
      HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

I'm guessing is pair of speakers.

4 ohms, 31% of power to each pair

I don't want to mislead you on the interpretation of the Max power values / max amp.

Let me try to get hold of Ray.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm guessing is pair of speakers.

4 ohms, 31% of power to each pair

I don't want to mislead you on the interpretation of the Max power values / max amp.

Let me try to get hold of Ray.
          Thanks Pete. I've got 6 pairs of speakers in the house and they are are fairly large/high power capacity. Currently I'm just running a old 100W amp and it sounds OK but would be better if I could feed it with 500 or maybe even 1000.

Comment

I've historically fed the AB8SS (10 pairs of speakers) with:

1 - Small Radio Shack Amp (think 10-20 watts) - I have a few of these.
            2 - TOA - A903 - PA style amplifier - not sure but think its 30 W.
            3 - Audio Source AMP 100 - today using this and RS amp.
            4 - MM Receiver - old - 150 Watts per speaker.

Over the last 10 (?) years haven't smoked it yet.

Redoing my AB8SS setup and integrating it with my Russound CAS44.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I've historically fed the AB8SS (10 pairs of speakers) with:

1 - Small Radio Shack Amp (think 10-20 watts) - I have a few of these.
              2 - TOA - A903 - PA style amplifier - not sure but think its 30 W.
              3 - Audio Source AMP 100 - today using this and RS amp.
              4 - MM Receiver - old - 150 Watts per speaker.

Over the last 10 (?) years haven't smoked it yet.

Redoing my AB8SS setup and integrating it with my Russound CAS44.
              Yeah, I'm a little worried about what 500 or 600 watts would do... It's not like these things are easily replaceable...

Comment

Wrote to Ray again.

Received this on July 25, 2010

FYI
                As stated on my website: hacs.com:
                HACS was founded, by Micro Designs..........
                And, although not stated but implied:
                HACS is also FUNDED by Micro Designs.
                Micro Designs has had no income since early 2008.
                Micro Designs has had not requests for bidding from 2007 until March 2010.
                Bid request are now 2-3 per week. However they are small jobs or possible free design for production rights. So nothing really yet!
                Have several "irons in the fire"
                The economy has really been bad but is getting better.
                But until Micro Designs has some good long term design, develop or manufacturing work, HACS is stuck.
                IF HACS had a investor or partner, things could move ahead.
                But HACS is not currently able to support repairs, replacement or new orders.
                I fully expected to make good all repairs, replacement or new orders once HACS gets some funding from any source.
                Please be patient.

You can follow me/Micro Designs' profile on:
                http://www.linkedin.com/in/ranewman
                Please join my network there.
                After you join I would appreciate a recommendation.
                Who knows, it might help

As always, if you want to be removed from mailing list please reply with only the word: Remove in the subject line.

Thanks,
                Ray
                Last edited by Pete; July 31, 2010, 02:05 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                X