Schlage Locks (and kwikset too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schlage Locks (and kwikset too)

I was originally going to ask just about the Schlage locks, mainly becuase I thought they were the only game in town, but whilst searching, I came across the kwikset ones, so I'd include those too.

1> Are the Schlage locks rated for outside use? I'd probably like to install 2 or 3 sets, one of which would be on an external door, exposed to the elements (there is a porch covering it, but it does get rained on, and snowed on, and sun shone on too). Am I going to have any issues? Same question for the kwikset locks.

2> For the Schlage locks, I'm a bit confused what I need to have to use them. The HS store says that we don't need to order the starter kits for them to work with HS, but I keep reading that you need to have an adjacent module that supports beaming (which I presume that the light module in the Kit supports(?). Most all of my zwave kit is Intermatic, and I don't think any of that supports beaming. I know that the iLink module isn't used that comes with the kit. I don't see any requirements for the kwikset locks - is there some seperate beaming module that needs to be purchased?

3> If the battery in the lock fails, or my HS system dies, or I simply forget the combination number, can I ALWAYS open the door from the outside via the key? Same question about the kwikset locks.

4> Any ideas when the kwikset locks will be available in the HS store? I was hoping to do something with at least my internal door during the summer as one of my (way too many) projects.

Thanks for all the help.

Graham

(Oh, and I should say that I'm using a z-troller, and have just updated to the 1.15 firmware a couple of weeks ago (I believe that that is the latest release?))

1. They (Schlage) work fine outside.
    2. You 'may' need a beaming capable module only if the lock cannot establish a direct path to the Z-Wave interface. Probably true of Kwikset as well.
    3. Yes. The key is backup.

4. no idea.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
      1. They (Schlage) work fine outside.
      2. You 'may' need a beaming capable module only if the lock cannot establish a direct path to the Z-Wave interface. Probably true of Kwikset as well.
      3. Yes. The key is backup.

4. no idea.
      Thanks for the reply.... No 2 is a bit worrysome tho... Does that mean that I may optomize my network one day, and suddenly not find a direct link, and loose communications with my lock?

Good to hear that the key always works tho, at least I know I will always be able to get back inside..

Graham

Comment

You will need just one "beaming" module installed within range of the lock you wish to control. See this diagram for details: http://www.homeseer.com/dealers/reso...ck-support.pdf
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Macromark,
          I am finding that one day my lock is a neighbor of the beaming module placed in the middle, between it and the hometroller and then the next day after zhealth is run it is not a neighbor.
          shouldn't it check on low power to insure that the lock always has this neighbor ? Because if if finds that it needs the module one day, what is my guarantee that it can always run without the so called middle man module ?

Stuart

Comment

When I bought my first lock, I also got two Schlage lamp modules just in case. I've not had to use them yet. The lock has worked flawlessly on its own for more than six months with a direct connection to the Z-Stick.
            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
              Macromark,
              I am finding that one day my lock is a neighbor of the beaming module placed in the middle, between it and the hometroller and then the next day after zhealth is run it is not a neighbor.
              shouldn't it check on low power to insure that the lock always has this neighbor ? Because if if finds that it needs the module one day, what is my guarantee that it can always run without the so called middle man module ?

Stuart
              Stuart - If the connectivity from the lock to the beaming module is marginal (as it seems to be in your case), you should turn ZHealth off to avoid this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                When I bought my first lock, I also got two Schlage lamp modules just in case. I've not had to use them yet. The lock has worked flawlessly on its own for more than six months with a direct connection to the Z-Stick.
                Did you get them seperately, or did you just buy the iLink kit? I am kinda in 2 minds which way to go.. either just the locks, and take a chance that it's going to work, or belt and braces mode, and get the kit, which ensures that I definately have the correct module if I need it.

Graham

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch64 View Post
                  Did you get them seperately, or did you just buy the iLink kit? I am kinda in 2 minds which way to go.. either just the locks, and take a chance that it's going to work, or belt and braces mode, and get the kit, which ensures that I definately have the correct module if I need it.

Graham
                  They should work and if not simply get one of the Schlage lamp modules to ensure communications.
                  http://store.homeseer.com/store/Schlage-LiNK-C183.aspx

Comment

Working...
                  X